Friday, April 6, 2018

Greens

The farmers are out early in the mornings readying their fields for planting, turning the soil.  Some of them have early crops coming in already.

The other morning as we were walking home a little after 6:00 when we met my neighbor coming in from his fields.  He was carrying a basket of greens and he grabbed a handful and handed it to me. 
These are kakina, which I guess is translated as just "greens".
Fifteen minutes later they were on our breakfast table served cold with soy sauce and mayonnaise.  Fresh and delicious!
This was actually where the greens were headed...  To the farmer's shed where his wife was bundling them and getting them ready to take to the local market in a few minutes.  We definitely can get fresh vegetables where we live!  But one has to get to the market early in the day or else everything is sold out.

I need to go grocery shopping now but it is already 4:00 in the afternoon.  I guess it will have to be a supermarket trip today.

5 comments:

  1. Spring must be coming for sure now! Really enjoying your blog - thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift. Did you steam the leaves? They look like a cross between spinach and silver beet.Or are they curly kale?. Wrap up well, we are starting to get quite cool in the mornings now, about 7C here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green vegetables are so healthy for us. Never thought to eat them cold. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SPOILED! I envy you your access to fresh greens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stuff I can afford here in town looks as though it had been kicked all the way to market. Many years ago there used to be farm trucks coming to my neighborhood with fresh produce from Chiba ... and in the fall on my way from school to the station, there was a farm truck parked off the side of the road with some real goodies. The farm wife was very friendly and talkative considering that is a neighborhood full of embassies.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.