Friday, April 27, 2018

At the elementary school

I was asked to come in to the elementary school this week for a traffic safety class.  All I did was stand around with a policeman and look official while a team of instructors taught safety basics and had the children go through traffic safety with a mock intersection and crosswalk marked out on the playground.  Before class began I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the school again.
There is an older woman in my neighborhood who is an Ikebana teacher and she has faithfully donated flowers to the school each and every week of the school year.  She stops in at the school early Monday morning and arranges the flowers and leaves them at the entryway.  They are certainly a beautiful bright spot in the school and I wouldn't be surprised if her very quiet contribution influences the children in some positive way.
Near the front door to the playground there are racks and racks of these unicycles and it seems to be a favorite pastime for the kids to grab a unicycle on their way out and spend recess careening around the playground.
 These vertical monkey bars are a good place to practice.

 This little girl demonstrated her ability for me.
 And one of the boys brought over a dragonfly for me to admire.
The kids at this school are very into nature.  This morning on the way to school a couple of the boys got waylaid picking dandelions. 
They had a dandelion fight and seeded the whole crosswalk area!

While I was directing one group of children across the crosswalk, suddenly I hear English voices and a lot of laughter...  coming from my pocket!

"It's Auntie Tani.  She's butt-dialed us!"

How that happened (I was standing at the crosswalk, right?) I don't know but I took the opportunity before signing off to let Marcy and Kiana say hello to the group of children.  Marcy and Kiana got a big kick out of all the kids in their yellow hats (and also my crosswalk guard uniform) and the kids got a big kick out of talking directly to America.

"Hallo!  Hallo!  My name is Miku!

"My name is Yusuke!"

English class at the crosswalk via a butt-dial...

4 comments:

  1. Butt dailing, a new term for me, but how easily it could happen. Love those dandelion fluffy heads, as a child , with a friend, we picked them, then blew on them, calling out the " 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock and so on. The floral arrangement, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the "flowers arrangement" reminded me of my mother. She had flowers arranged in the house all year..... I miss them and it is not something I ever learned to do.... pushing a bunch of flowers into a vase is NOT the same.

    What a hoot, I learned a new word - butt-dial - haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been butt-dialed before but usually the butt-dialer can't hear me to know there is an open connection. Good you were able to turning it into English lessons in the crosswalk. What a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get butt-calls from my husband all the time. Now I can enjoy a real facetime call on Saturday mornings with my Oregon daughters and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.