Sunday, April 15, 2018

Patio chairs

I started out with one picture I wanted to show you this morning...

It is warming up around here and we would like to think about eating breakfast out on the patio on the weekends.  But this winter took a toll on our patio chairs and the seat webbing on both of them disintegrated.  One sit down and I fell through the chair seat!  So we've been looking around for new patio chairs.  These had originally been a second hand shop find anyway and so we weren't really planning to fork out a lot of money.  There are not THAT many Saturday morning breakfasts outside what with the rainy season and the mosquito season etc.  But without chairs we weren't going to make any use of the patio at all.

And the frames of the chairs were still good so it seemed a shame to buy new chairs and have to make another trip to the dump to get rid of the broken ones...  Tetsu contemplated buying lumber and building seat platforms to lay over the frames but that ran into money too...

Sooo...  Yesterday when we were at the hardware store we got the idea of using packing tape and weaving a seat.  Was it possible?  With no instructions to follow could something be made from the chair frames?  Oh well, for 5 dollars a roll of tape, Tetsu decided to give it a try and quickly determined that strength was needed to pull the straps tight and that I was out of the running for this project.  He got tired of it pretty quickly too and when I went to bed at 10:00 the seatless frame was sitting in the corner of the living room and Tetsu was again asleep on the sofa.
BUT!  This morning I wake up and come downstairs to find a perfectly good chair ready to be sat upon!  Tetsu stayed up til 2:00am weaving a seat bottom and the chair was now usable again!

This is the photo I took this morning to show you...  One very nice patio chair...  Maybe not what you would call natural coloring but this is what was offered at the hardware shop.  I love it!!!

I went to church this morning but Tetsu had to be at the office for a few hours and so our paths didn't cross again until I got home around 3:00 this afternoon after grocery shopping, an hour at the pool etc.  Tetsu sent me a photo saying to expect this...
TWO CHAIRS!  Tetsu stopped by a different hardware store on his way home from work and bought more packing tape and he spent the next couple hours weaving another chair seat!  We are set for breakfasts on the patio!
Pretty great!  I am ultra satisfied!!!
 

17 comments:

  1. The chairs look great, a perfect solution. It seems such a waste to dispose of things that can be given a revamp. Sadly so many things are not repairable these days. Your table setting with the living flowers looks sweet, the promise of spring and summer as we start to light fires and wear warm clothes in NZ. Congratulations to Tetsu. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Your patio looks inviting to enjoy whatever you like to do there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great weaving job, Tetsu. I, too, would be very happy with the chairs, too! So nice that Tetsu is so handy and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His and hers!!! They are bright, and a great way to have new chairs at a very reasonable price. Unless you add in the hours by Tetsu!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You'll start a new trend for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the pictures, they look brand new. Tetsu did a great job and I think the colors look great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great husband! Kudos to you both for innovation and to Tetsu for execution. And the tablecloth ties everything together. Aleta St.Louis, Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking very cheerful on the patio. I bet the second chair took 1/2 as long to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tetsu, you did I great job with your weaving. Love the bright cheery colors!

    Karen in New Jersey USA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have taught scouts how to make chair seats with string in a basketry course. That would have worked well too ... but probably not as colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever! Lots better than my plain chairs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is a beautiful job. I had visions of the tape sticking to everything rather than going where it was meant to go. But it is so close and even! Well done Tetsu.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! Can I borrow your husband for some projects at my house!!!!!!!! You have a wonderful husband and I think you are a wonderful wife also! You two should do some marriage counseling on how to have a good marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.