Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Chickens galore!

I am happy to announce another finish!  The McKenna chicken quilt!

Yesterday turned out to be a lovely warm day and while out walking I scouted my walking terrain for possible quilt hanging tree branches.  My former tree is now covered in weeds and brush and as it is on someone else's property, though I feel as if I can trespass for a few minutes to hang up a quilt I don't know if the farmer would appreciate me whacking through brush to expose his tree again.  I needed a new tree...
Ooh and I found one!  A perfect tree!  I don't have to forge my way to it and the branch is low enough and horizontal enough to easily hang a quilt!  And the background scenery is lovely to boot!  (You don't know how hard it is to find a quilt hanging tree!)  This will be my new quilt hanging tree and maybe it will inspire me to complete more quilts!
The border got put on a couple of weeks ago and the quilt all came together.  As I've said many times before, I LOVE the batiks that McKenna uses and it is a joy to work with the fabrics even though the work is rather "color by number".
 I did extensive machine quilting around the fabric designs.  Lots of sunflowers in the border.
The chickens and chicks got worked the same way.  It is the first time for me to quilt the background with so much coordinating detail but I like the result.
 The quilting was all done in mono-filament thread.
I have a nifty new tool for quilting the lattice squares.  I'll try to get a picture of it in action next time.  Think laser!
 The background fabric is the same as the border just a different hue.
And I love the chicken wire fabrics that were used in this quilt but where else is one going to use chicken wire fabric in their quilts except with chickens?
 Joyful chick.
 More chicken wire in a different color.
I think this block was my own creation from my own fabrics as I never did find the last pattern packet.  I don't think it stands out too much, do you?
 And still more chicken wire.  You have to like chickens to like this quilt.
I did put a sleeve on the back of the quilt for hanging but obviously it wasn't going to help with tree branch hanging.
If Leiya gives her approval, I think this quilt is going to go to her friends who like chickens.
 That was a fun project!

8 comments:

  1. It looks great and I agree that’s the perfect tree for quilt photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun project with a stunning result, and you have found a great branch for hanging quilts from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting on this is amazing, love the layout, and it will inspire me to finish that pattern. I think I have made 3 blocks so far,a LONG time ago!!! Your new tree is the perfect setting for your chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like chickens --- this quilt is great!!! Your up close photos are such a joy.... can see so much ...... the new quilt hanging tree is perfect. Great way to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt is Gorgeous! Good job! is this the fabric store you go to when you come to California?
    Dorell Fabric Outlet
    10870 Spencer Ave, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I know your place is in Orange County.
    Ruth in Oxnard CA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ever learned to do.... pushing a bunch of flowers into a vase is NOT the same.
    ไพ่ออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I used a machine, I might be tempted to use those McKenna blocks. Both pictures and fabrics go so well together. How do they hold up on washing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out beautifully. I love how you display it on a tree. I should do that, I certainly have enough trees around here. What a wonderful gift this will be.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.