I really enjoy doing translation work though it holds a lot of responsibility as these things get published and heaven forbid there are any mistakes! This is translation from Japanese to English and I feel that I'm pretty good with expressions and grammar and making things sound natural. However, I could NEVER do translating from English to Japanese. Too much unknown vocabulary, too many nuances and the Japanese language differs in vocabulary and expression depending on the formality of the situation.
But from Japanese to English, with some thought and with time, I do a fair job. My main handicap of course is being able to READ the Japanese (which consists of complicated Chinese characters) in order to translate but even that has become easier over the years... I have my little Japanese-English dictionary... In a pinch (I haven't had to use him yet) I can ask Tetsu to READ me the sentence that needs to be translated if I can't figure out the character myself.
With nearly 40 years of living in Japan, I guess I've gained some literacy... Maybe I can read things easily at Jr. high level... With some brain exertion I can manage more difficult text... thus the translation job I'm doing this month.
The Japanese associate/friend is someone I've worked with before whose spoken English is nearly flawless. She will be translating some pages of the medical booklet and I will be translating other pages and then weekly we will get together and go over each others' work. Me, to make her English more natural, she, to make sure I haven't completely missed the point!
So I'm hard at work the next couple weeks translating things like doctors' office procedures and how to fill prescriptions. Already I've had to take an aspirin this morning... Too much work on the brain! If my headache gets worse at least I've got the medical booklet (still in Japanese) at my fingertips!
Yes, my husband and daughter both do translation work and most of it is from Japanese into English. There is a lot of difference between spoken and written Japanese and ... to whom it is intended. I think it must be wonderful to have such good language skills. I have been here 52 years and can barely communicate with neighbours
ReplyDeleteYou have so many skills, gifts & talents !! :) (R in KK, but currently in Kaneohe)
ReplyDeleteWe are sisters! I've been struggling with medical translations, too. HARD work!
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine how difficult this must be. When I was younger, I used to type for college students and professors, and just typing the handwritten stuff was difficult, especially when it had medical or scientific terminology and symbols. I think it would be exponentially harder to translate it.
ReplyDelete