Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Halloween flowers and card

I decided to get into the Halloween spirit by getting rid of the leggy overgrown spring flowers we had on the porch and planting something new.  In honor of Halloween I chose some strange looking flowers...
So now I have two planters... three really as I had bought too many flowers and they wouldn't all fit into my two planned pots.
I liked these spiky things though I don't know what they are called.
So my front porch was looking nice, BUT last evening when I brought Choco into the house she overturned this pot, rack and all and I had to replant everything.  Choco is so hyper and she barrels into the house whapping things along the way.  I hope these flowers will survive the trauma...
I also spent some time making an October fabric card for my mother.  This wasn't one of my more successful ones just because I tried to get fancy...  Here we have a haunted house.  That's pretty good.  But I had tried to leave a pocket behind the fabric and insert a ghost...  Supposedly if the bat flying around at the bottom was pulled...
 ...then a ghost would appear at the top of the card.  This was sort of my own invention...  I sandwiched an extra piece of cardboard between the layers of the pocket and draped the yarn connecting the ghost and the bat over it.  Thus, when the yarn was pulled the ghost was levered up and through the pocket opening.  However, since the ghost isn't slippery (this might have worked all in heavy paper) he gets stuck at the top...and has to be levitated manually.  I doubt that my mother is going to be able to figure all that out...  Maybe Marcy will help her?  Otherwise the ghost will forever be hidden inside the card.

I think I'll go back to making non-trick cards.  And I'm not planting any more flowers either.

5 comments:

  1. Boo!
    Great card! Pretty flowers. I still have our leggy spring flowers in the planters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call the first spiky flowers 'Prince of Wales' feathers. Presumably because someone thinks they look like the feathers in the heraldic badge of the Prince of Wales. I don't know what they call them when they are not in the United Kingdom.
    Will you use the peppers from the pepper plant in your cooking? My son had a plant like that and we used a few of them in cooking...and froze the rest as they got ripe because I am not too big on hot/spicy food. So, he gets them out when he is cooking something for himself.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun flowers! The red 'feathery' flowers remind me of something we call Indian Paintbrush here in the States - and I think there is a red version (red flower and red leaves).

    --Jean Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if mother doesnt figure it out, you pulled off a very cleaver card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tanya, I agree w/ Julie, you've pulled off a very clever card!!!! Hope this finds you happy and healthy....big hugs from Pat in Indiana

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.