Saturday, October 3, 2015

Two autumn finishes

I have a couple of finishes to show today.  One mine... one crafted by a non-patchwork friend and quilted by me.
The crafted project was made by a friend who actually comes for English but along with one other student the three of us sometimes do sewing or knitting or other hand work while using English.  A blog friend had sent me some beautiful McKenna floral patterns and cards and though these two English students aren't quilters, we spent one lesson collaging the mini-quilts.  (The other student chose a different, more complicated pattern and she is still working on her quilt.)

It is one thing for a person who loves doing patchwork and quilting and has a sewing machine and wants to try machine quilting, but for this friend, I sort of roped her into this project.  Though she may have enjoyed making the collage and will like having a mini-quilt up on her wall, she had no interest in trying to quilt this so the understanding was that I would do the quilting for her.
I used one of my chalk pounce quilting patterns for the border.  This is an easy way to get a quilting pattern on a quilt (border) when I don't want to think up and concentrate on a freehand design.  Pounce marking also works well with dark borders when penciled-in patterns might not show up.
The other major finish is the applique block that I was assigned from our Friday's patchwork group.  Yeah!!!  All those leaves are now hand appliqued down and I feel a sense of accomplishment!  I had chosen this block because of all the leaves that I hated to make someone else do but actually they didn't give me that much trouble...  I had more of a time with those flower indentations... and thought about the poor lady who chose the block with lots and lots of similar flowers!
The pattern is from a Bunny Hill BOM and the whole set of patterns and fabrics was sent to me by another blog friend.  I surely am blessed!!!

I feel good about getting this block completed before our next meeting... when I'll come home with another block to do!  It never ends!

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to have those finishes? With my computer dead, I finished the baby quit in record time and will be able to take it to school tomorrow for signatures from fellow staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling projects, both. I have not tried the pounce method but think it is a good choice for small projects--I'd be afraid the marking would get lost when shoving a big quilt through my small harp space! Lovely work on both finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really cute design for the bunny and you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.