Sunday, October 11, 2015

Lace tablecloth

"No matter the occasion, no matter whether the china is peasant pottery or finest Wedgewood, there is a crocheted cloth to complete the setting, and to bring you a pleased feeling of satisfaction because your own lovely handwork gives the setting its true distinction."
Copyright, 1938,  The Spool Company, Printed in U.S.A.  Third Edition.
Seventy-seven years.  I'm making assumptions but I put down the crochet needle last night and told myself that a seventy-seven year Work In Progress had been finished.

The pattern booklet says it was published in 1938.  I don't know when my grandmother bought her book (for 10 cents!) nor if she started her project immediately or not.  I only know that all the motifs were made and more than half of them were waiting to be added to the half-finished tablecloth.  I started the project at the end of the summer and it has taken me two months to crochet the fillers and add four or five more rows.  (And do more filling!)  The pattern ended with 352 motifs made into rows of 16x22.  There was still a bagful of motifs and besides the cloth didn't cover my rather small dining room table so I went back to connecting more rows and enlarged the cloth to 432 motifs in rows of 18x24.  I guess that was what my grandmother had planned all along as I've now run out of motifs and the cloth is now large enough.
"Your grandma would be happy that you finished her project."

Yes, she probably would be.  I know I would (will) be very upset when the day comes along when I've left a half finished quilt stuffed in a box.

"Ah~ah~.  All that time put in and I didn't get it finished...  What a waste."
BUT!!!  Thanks to a determined grand-daughter (me) my grandmother's tablecloth has been completed, mended (in some places the threads had broken), starched and ironed.  And crochet has never been my strong point so I'm rather proud of myself!
I laid the cloth on the table.  It fits (barely).  It looks great!  Despite what the pattern book claims, it does not give my dining room that much distinction as I don't have any Wedgewood nor peasant pottery...  Just Japanese pottery and I'm afraid Japanese pottery doesn't much go with a hand crocheted tablecloth...

I have already covered up the crocheted cloth with my blue plastic tablecloth...  I don't want the cats sitting on it.  I'll whip off the blue cloth to brag to a couple students tomorrow and then Grandma's tablecloth will go in the closet again until Leiya finds a use for it someday.

23 comments:

  1. What a fabulous job you have done. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Your grandmother should be smiling down for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely - even if you dont have the Wedgewood to go with it - certainly show it off when you can - maybe you need an "English" tea set?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tablecloth is beautiful Tanya, and it would look lovely with some Noritake fine china on it.!

    My 'best' china is actually Noritake, and it is real, made in Japan, Noritake and I love it.

    I am almost sure I have the pattern for your tablecloth but I do not think I would ever be able to make one, I am left handed and taught myself to crochet and find it very difficult, prefer patchwork.

    Cheers from Western Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful Tanya, what a great job you have done! You should enjoy showing it off to all your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tablecloth is beautiful! What a gift to be able to finish your grandmother's project! I don't think it matters if you have china or not. Just being able to use the tablecloth and think about your grandmother will be special. It's like teaming up to work on a project.
    It's been fun for me to follow your work on this project. My mother found granny squares in my grandmother's things and I remember Mom telling me, "See, you may have to finish my projects someday!". Mom actually finished the afghan but I'm sure she has lots of other projects given her "stash".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finishing that table cloth was way more work than finishing a quilt. Well done and thanks for showing us. It is always nice to see beautiful things AND it is an encouragement to us to done one of our "projects".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great finish! It really beautifies the dining table and room - no need for any china!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its a lovely cloth Tanya, you should use it a few times after all that hard work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tablecloth is absolutely beautiful! What a sense of accomplishment to have completed your grandmother's project. It will be a treasured family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful table cloth - great job on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That looks amazing! I have one similar made of string and its missing the last few motifs. I wish I had the pattern and I would finish it up too. I wonder if I can Google search for it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely Tanya. You worry about having too many UFO's at different times, but you are one of the best finishers I have ever known! Somethings just have to have a rest.
    But I do agree that to have done as much as all that and not finished would feel like a waste of time. But, perhaps she had become unable to see well. They can help with eyesight a lot easier these days.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lace tablecloth is beautiful; you and your grandmother did a wonderful job.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  15. My great grandmother loved to crochet but was so afraid of leaving things unfinished that in the end, all she made were doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's beautiful. I'm so glad that you finished what your grandmother started. Thanks for sharing a picture of the tablecloth and the story behind it. You might want to write out the story of the tablecloth and keep
    it with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your table cloth is lovely....and a true family heirloom. I'm sure your grandma is pleased. It seems a shame to put it away in a cabinet somewhere. How about getting some clear plastic to put over it on the table. It would be protected but you could still enjoy its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is absolutely beautiful. How lovely to be able to put the finishing touches to such an inheritance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's gorgeous! I think it fits the table very well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes I think the empty spaces are as lovely as the motifs!
    I enjoy your blog so much and envy your talent.
    Vickie in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful!!!! And what a keepsake to pass on to your daughter or son. You did a beautiful job and it should be out for everyone to see and enjoy and appreciate!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful and your grandmother is very happy to have it finished at last.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.