Monday, October 6, 2014

Photos from friends' homes

Although today isn't Wednesday I guess I'll post some of my miscellaneous photos.  I've gone visiting my friends in the past couple of weeks and they allow me to photo things in their homes.  Nosy foreigner, Tanya.
At Mrs. N's home I noticed two very pretty cushions that she had on her sofa.  She said a friend of hers made them for her as Mrs. N is a real cat lover.  I'm not sure who the designer is but it is someone famous in Japan who has published patchwork and applique books.
They make such a pretty pair!
I hesitatingly asked Mrs. Y, my neighbor if I could photograph the Buddhist altar in her home.  She has a very large, traditional style Japanese house and her altar stands in a place of honor.  She just lost her father earlier this year and daily she places morsels of the family dinner on the little dishes in front of the altar.  In August there is also "Obon" which is the returning of spirits season and many friends and relatives bring gifts of fruit and osake for the deceased's first Obon.
There seem to be photos of long ago relatives displayed and also cute little objects that the loved one might enjoy.  I think the black lacquered pieces have the deceased's new Buddhist name inscribed on them.  Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Buddhist customs.
On a lighter side, recently I haven't been able to hold ladies English classes in my home (unless they want to crawl under ladders and step around plastering buckets) and so my students have been taking turns opening up their homes for weekly class.  AND they even make lunch for all of us, which I certainly never did...  But it has been fun and English turns out to be a sumptuous chat-a-thon.  That is cashew nut curry there with purple rice and a fruit salad on the side.  Yum!
Yesterday after the typhoon I went into the city to teach at a student's home which is at the top of a highrise (15th floor).  And there before us was Mt. Fuji.  My student said that usually Mt. Fuji hides behind clouds and haze but today's typhoon blew everything away.  I haven't seen Mt. Fuji in years!

10 comments:

  1. Tanya, the cushions w/ the cats are lovely. I especially liked the first one, w/ the girl cat playing the instrument. And I appreciated seeing an altar in the home; something I'd not seen before. Purple rice, I'm not so sure about....but bring on the cashews!!! You know that I always enjoy whatever you post, and I usually learn at least one thing from each of your blogs....Today, more than one; its a good day. Hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God that you both are OK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mt. Fuji: what a treat!

    All the news we hear this week from Japan is the volcano and the typhoon. So sorry for the difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I enjoy your photos so much. The Kitty cushions are lovely. Can you find out the name of the artist? Maybe we can google and see more lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Mt Fuji looks bigger from your location than it does from mine! That is one fancy Buddhist alter. I have yet to see those cute little items mixed with the tablets and food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the wonderful, interesting photos. What a beautiful view of Mt Fuji!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorables coussins avec ces petits chats ! Je regarde votre blog avec beaucoup de bonheur !
    Bonne peinture votre maison va être belle et vous y serez bien avec tous vos quilts pour vous tenir chaud !
    Amitié

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs Y's house looks fabulous....great photos, all of them.
    Thanks from Gail in Wa State

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cat pillows are so intricate and beautiful. I would love to know the designers name too.
    What lovely friends to fix lunch for their English teacher. My curry dishes always consist of carrots, celery, onion, chicken, with brown rice. So boring compared to the cashew nut curry and purple rice. Also, love the accent of green onion.
    So glad you are safe from the irrupting volcano and typhoon. When I read about them, it sounded like they were in your area.
    Thank you for sharing all the very interesting photos!! Patty Mc

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shot of Mt. Fuji!

    Nina,
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.