Hokkaido is the home to a disappearing ethnic group called Ainu and the dwindling population of Ainu people try very hard to keep their culture intact. Much like the North American Indian culture, there are various handcrafts specific to the Ainu people. I have seen samples of a type of fabric dying, but wood carving seems to be the most widespread. My friend who visited Hokkaido said the necklace that she got for me was carved by an 80 year old woodcarver of Ainu background. The coloring, shape and carved designs must have some tribal meaning. It is absolutely beautiful with all the detail and a sprinkling of gold on the designs.
34 years ago, Tetsu and I went on our honeymoon to Hokkaido. Hokkaido is beautiful in summer (and not as hot and humid as other places in Japan) which was one reason we chose the destination. The other reason was that we had to register our marriage with the American Consulate and rather than go to the American Embassy in Tokyo we thought Hokkaido was more romantic.
Hokkaido souvenir shops are overflowing with hand carved items, the most famous being a ferocious looking bear that is grasping a salmon in its jaws. I think I bought one of the bear carvings for my parents and it still stands on the top of my mother's cupboards. (photo from the Internet)
But for ourselves, I wanted a milder, sweet-looking bear, and this cute Hokkaido carved fellow has been with us ever since.
My beautiful necklace from Hokkaido will be getting a lot of use with my winter sweaters that are about to make an appearance!

I have never seen carvings with paint. Our home has a number of bear carvings (Is there a home in Tokyo without one?) Ours are mother-cub carvings. We also have a large owl carving guarding the genkan. Since I also do woodcarving, I have made friends with some of those carvers and have some really nice scout neckerchief slides to show for it.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pendant and necklace, a treasure. Cheers. Jean.
ReplyDeletethat is a beautiful wood carved necklace. yes cultures need to be kept alive if they can be and through art is very good way
ReplyDeleteTanya, your friend had very good taste in choosing your beautiful necklace....I didn't realize bear carvings are so prominent in parts of Japan....just as they are in western US....thanks for sharing......hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story. No wonder the necklace it so special - aside from the cultural significance it also has romantic ties!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful necklace and adorable carvings, it is a nice feeling to see old traditions and cultures kept alive. Thank you for sharing, Tanya!
ReplyDelete