Mr. U arrived at 8:30 on Thursday and together we removed the VERY STUBBORN wallpaper in the dining room. Irritation was prevalent though mainly by Mr. U.
"It is supposed to strip away... What did the wallpaperers USE to put on this wallpaper?!"
As I didn't know any better I happily picked away at the wallpaper taking a sort of pleasure in ripping things apart. It took us all morning to remove the paper from the dining room...
In the afternoon I got my first lesson in "plastering". Mr. U handed me a trowel and whatever else those tools are called and kept assuring me that if I didn't think I could do it then he would take over...
"Go slow, take small amounts of keisoudo and use your knees and wrist."
Sure... My first dab of keisoudo plopped onto the floor drip sheet... Should I give up now?
BUT, within an hour or two I was getting the hang of it and really feeling like a plasterer!
But that was only the first layer... Keisoudo requires two applications... Friday Mr. U spent all day putting on the second layer of keisoudo as this required more skill than the first layer... BUT I was given a bamboo brush and told to "enhance" my new wall as an expression of my inner creativity. (To be honest I enjoyed the plastering the day before more than I did 'enhancing'.) Sorry, I was so busy on Friday I didn't get any pictures.
Yesterday, Saturday, Mr. U and I had Tetsu to help us and while Mr. U plastered, Tetsu and I removed wallpaper in the living room and the kitchen.
Here I am removing wallpaper from BEHIND the refrigerator and cupboard.
And then plastering... I do better on my knees than I do on the ladder.
And I'm not really much help in the overall scope of things. I can get my little corner done in the time that Mr. U can do the other three quarters of the wall. Mr. U praises my efforts a bit condesendingly.
"I don't know any other ladies who would try this type of work. You do real well for a female."
Tetsu mumbled out of Mr. U's earshot that I would give HIM a bit of my mind if he ever said I did well "for a female". But I pointed out that I'm not married to Mr. U and as I am at the mercy of his instruction and expertise I guess I can live with his nominal praise.
And here is proof that even Tetsu did his part. He preferred removing wallpaper though and soon went back to the living room.
For lunch, Mr. U had brought home made buckwheat noodles (he'd made them by hand earlier that morning. A man of all trades!) and he worked around all the moved furniture in the kitchen to boil us up a noodle lunch.
Two sets of noodles made with different types of buckwheat flour. Mr. U is a real connoisseur.
Lunch was delicious. (Mr. U even brought the bamboo trays!)
And then back to plastering. Well, as of this morning the living room is minus its wallpaper. The entryway and kitchen has its first layer of keisoudo.
But the dining room is DONE!! A slight yellow tint to the room now and though it doesn't seem to photograph, bamboo brush enhanced by yours truly.
Although the rest of the downstairs looks like it was already hit by the fast approaching typhoon, we can now sit peacefully in the dining room... Nowhere else.
Very nice!
ReplyDeleteYour dining room looks so nice. Soon your whole house will be like new. It sure is a lot of work though, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteIt should be worth all the effort if it cuts the humidity. Looks great too.
ReplyDeleteThe whole process is fascinating! I bet you're looking forward to the day when the rest of the house looks as good as the dining room...
ReplyDeletecongratulations on helping - this is a big job you are doing - and women can do just as well as men
ReplyDeleteYet another use for diatomaceous earth...cool! Thanks so much for sharing this.
ReplyDeleteIt looks lovely, Tanya! I am impressed by your wide variety of skills and love hearing all the terms and customs that you share... the noodle lunch sounds divine, too!
ReplyDeleteI've missed you a lot, but I see you have been busy! So much work, but so rewarding when it is finished.
ReplyDeleteGood work and it really looks like fun to me. Despite the hard work.
ReplyDeleteWe went through a (roughly) similar house re-do a couple of years ago. It will be so wonderful when it's done! The dining room looks very nice.
ReplyDelete(Are you familiar with the Hobonichi Techo? I've just discovered it, and hear that it's supposed to be very popular in Japan. Just curious.)
Mr. U hammers, plasters, makes noodles from scratch, and likes cats. Is he single by any chance?
ReplyDelete