Y-kun comes weekly for English (and cooking and juicing). I've given him permission to go upstairs to my sewing room and he finds "treasures" in my bead drawer, in my leaders/enders box and in my scrap bin. He is constantly asking me if he can take home some scraps though they seem to just live in his English bag but he enjoys finding pretty colors and patterns.
"Y-kun, why don't you make a quilt? I'll help you."
"A quilt will take years. I can never make a quilt."
"You come early every week, you like to play with my fabrics. You can make one block at a time and we'll see how many you can get made."
I cut up some sheeting fabric and made some center strips and since then have let Y-kun have the run of my strings bin. I have taught him how to sew a straight seam (we still need to work on that a bit) and he has mastered using the pedal and the thread cutter. Last night Y-kun got a lesson on winding a bobbin and rethreading the sewing machine.
I don't know why Y-kun has trouble sewing that 1/4 inch seam allowance. I think he is pulling the fabric as he sews... I have explained and explained that he needs to watch the sewing foot edge but by the end of the strip he has got only threads holding the fabric together.
"Do it again. It is just taking you longer having to redo things you know."
A Heartstrings quilt is very forgiving. Y-kun can go over and over the same two strips of fabric until he's got something close to a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
Ironing has been a lesson for Y-kun too!
"Don't push so hard that you get the whole block out of shape. Just make sure the fabric lies flat and press on top."
Y-kun is an aggressive ironer.
Last night the other boy in our class watched Y-kun put in the last few stitches on the block he was working on.
"This is so easy. You ought to try it. We will have to know how to sew when we get to jr. high school you know."
A little boasting there... The other boy wasn't the least interested in playing with fabric...
I have promised Y-kun that for each block he makes, I will make him one during the week. That way he only has half the work to do and his quilt grows magically. He loves laying out the blocks to see how many we have made... 12 more to go? Hmmm... Maybe more... but we are sewing in baby steps No hurry.
Last night Y-kun started eyeing my fabric stash, not my left over fabric.
"Sensei, I want to use some of THAT!"
Nothing may be safe in my sewing room while Y-kun is up there!
Awwww....Tanya, you have a generous beautiful heart. I think God is taking care of Y-kun through you and Tetsu. This gift you have given him will forever be in his heart and mind. I still remember the good teachers from my kindergarden to grade school. I can't wait to see the finished quilt and how proud Y-kun will be of himself.
ReplyDeleteGrace,Tx
How neat! I love that you are making a HeartStrings quilt with him. They are very forgiving!
ReplyDeleteY-kun is growing so fast! Too bad you can't can that energy and enthusiasm and sell it. You would be rich!
ReplyDeleteAdorable. What a gift - for both of you!
ReplyDeleteY-kun is so lucky to have you as a mentor and teacher. I know he can be challenging but your home must be a bright spot in his life -- so filled with encouragement and patience.
ReplyDeleteYou really are a Godsend to that boy, he will be so proud when he finishes his quilt!
ReplyDeleteHi Tanya Nice to see a boy interested in sewing. I have a grandson who seems to be interested in sewing I was at his house the other day we were doing some sewing and he was busy trying out all the fancy stitches on the machine.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky he is that God has placed you in his life!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this boy! It will be so interesting for you to watch how he develops over the next few years.
ReplyDeleteWow, what life skills! I am sure some jr high teacher is going to be very glad he already knows. If she is having to teach a large group, he wouldn't necessarily have the one on one that he needs.
ReplyDeleteI have tried to teach a few people who struggle, for one reason or another, with sewing straight. I put a line of masking tape from back to front at the place they needed to line up. It really helped. If you have a part that swings away to create a free arm, you can just make a cut in the tape there so the machine still functions.
Thanks for doing the Tania.
Sandy in the UK
me again...or if he is sewing onto a foundation, you can have him use a ruler to draw the line where the fabrics are meant to line up.
ReplyDeleteSandy in the UK
Hi Tanya,
ReplyDeleteI love your Ykun stories!! Thanks for sharing
Finally ... a man (boy in this case) interested in quilting :-)!
ReplyDeleteMake sure you put away your stash Tanya! Before you know it he's on the go with your treasures! LOL!!!
Your post really made me smile!
Have a great weekend,
Ann
So good to hear your updates on Y-Kun. He is such an inquisitive boy. How old is he now? I am sure your husband and you enjoy his sweet spirit. I like hearing about what he brings to you from their garden.
ReplyDeleteCindy
I love it! keep encouraging him :)
ReplyDeleteY-Kun is getting big!!
ReplyDeleteI agree....a gift for both of you!
Best regards from Gail in Wa State
My heart is so happy every time I read something you post about you and Y-Kun. I know he can keep you busy and on your toes but I can't help but think he's exactly where he needs to be. God has placed him with you for Y-Kun but also for you. This child will never forget you and I think he will be an active part of your life forever. He's more than a student...
ReplyDeleteWay to go Y-kun! My youngest son asked to make a quilt, using his great grandmothers fabrics when he was 12.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason this got me choked up... your kindness... and Y-Kun's fondness for you. He and you are definitely passing through each others lives for a specific reason.
ReplyDelete