These two 20 year old young men turned into...
...these two 60 year old "mature" men.
Tetsu's friend, N-san brought along old pictures from their college years and I took photos of their pictures.
Um... Is this proper blogging material?
This picture was taken when Tetsu's college judo group did some intensive training not far from Meiji Shrine in Tokyo. The guys are wearing fundoshi, a traditional type of men's undergarment. As Tetsu explains it, the week long January training camp ended with a ceremony involving the fundoshi. On the last day, the young men were given their hand made fundoshi, and they would run to the Meiji Shrine about 6 miles away. At the shrine the athletes would then shed their sportswear (yes, they did wear their sportswear while running) and wearing just the fundoshi, douse themselves in the shine's ice cold purifying water. People going to the shrine to pray for New Year's blessings would stare and take pictures and the girls in their beautiful kimonos would titter and giggle at the near naked young men. I doubt very much that this college custom is allowed any more, at least not at Meiji Shrine...
Though fundoshi used to be traditional underclothing, it is rarely seen nowadays except at festivals. It is really just a long piece of fabric that is twisted into a cord around the waist and then brought up from the back, opened in the front and tucked into the part encircling the waist. The back is sort of a thong like arrangement which leaves the buttocks showing.
As an aside. Though most young men didn't wear these normally, Tetsu, the manic athlete that he was, wore fundoshi under his clothing until I met him... His mother suggested that if he was planning to marry this foreigner, I might be not like being confronted with fundoshi. Tetsu retired his fundoshi before I married him, for which I'll forever be grateful to his mother...
Fantastic post! Love, just love the last paragraph. :) Your mother-in-law is a very wise woman. :)
ReplyDeletelol how funny! gotta appreciate the mother in law :)
ReplyDeleteDitto to Lois' words. but I had to also have a huge smile. Brave young men. is that tradition still done today? Enjoyed all the pics very much. Cheers to all, Jean.
ReplyDeleteMeiji shrine, huh ... I was around back in those days..but then, there were lots of strange Japanese customs to puzzle over.
ReplyDeleteThey have matured into handsome 60 year olds. As always interesting and informative post Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAren't different customs from around the world fascinating!
ReplyDeleteBoth men are certainly handsome. As for your question if this "is proper blogging material". I'd say "your've got it covered".....hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDeleteIt's always wonderful to visit old friends.
ReplyDeleteGreat post...great underwear!
Best regards from Gail in Wa State
Hope you are feeling wonderful, Tanya! I thought about you today when I found some persimmons at the weekly farmer's market. They are the apple type persimmon and very pretty, but not as lovely as the persimmons in your photos. Sending lots of good wishes!
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed reading this post! Put a smile on my face. How nice that the men have remained friends all these years.
ReplyDeleteTany!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry but this one is almost hilarious! Okay I understand this are old habits but I really had to laugh at the image of those young girls giggling at those almost naked men :-) :-) :-).
It's great that you visited old friends who are not forgotten!
Kind greetings,
Ann