Around the rooms at the inn were Morioka specialty knick-knacks such as the iron-ware kettle on a low hibachi.
And there was a lovely obi that had been made into a room screen.
After checking in I was led to a Japanese cupboard and told to choose my yukata for the evening.
A yukata is a cotton kimono that can be worn around the inn and also to sleep in. There were drawers of yukatas and another drawer of obi (belts).
I chose a pink cherry blossom yukata and a maroon obi though I wondered if for my age I should have chosen a dark grey or brown. (You think about these things in Japan.) Oh well...
Tetsu was supplied with a regular inn men's yukata. Here he is showing that one us had wine for dinner and the other had orangeade. Which one of us had which do you think? Yep. I'm the one one who enjoyed the wine. Tetsu is a complete non-drinker.
Dinner was served in our room and it kept coming and kept coming! I don't know what all we had to eat! Fish morsels, sushi, sashimi, grilled meat, simmered vegetables over individual candle burners. I think Tetsu and I counted 20 different little dishes filled with all sorts of colorful and delicious delicacies. Yum! So good! But way too much food!
Guests of course stay at an onsen in order to enjoy the hot spring bath and Tetsu sure got his money's worth. He relaxed in the hot bath 4 times while we were here, and enjoyed it immensely! (I managed twice.)
Scenery pictures tomorrow.
What a beautiful place. And, the FOOD! Wow! It all looks so delicious! I look forward to your post tomorrow, too. :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks wonderful and traditional? so pretty and that you are given traditional clothing to wear also - how delightful - all that food looks so pretty also
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful weekend! I'm adding this post to my "places to visit in Japan" folder!
ReplyDeleteA trip to a local onsen during camp helped my cold a lot. I see an interesting mix of modern with furniture made to be used on tatami. I'd say Tetsu hit the jackpot on that one. (I'm the "drinker" in my family too. One sip and Paul would be under the table.
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed by this! What fun!
ReplyDeleteJapanese food always looks so elegant. I don't know how I would do though as I don't eat fish.
ReplyDeleteI think you had a lovely stay and that food looks amazing (I just love sushi but am not really acquainted with the other ways of preparation).
ReplyDeleteBecause of your stories I want more and more to visit Japan someday - although I think it must be a confusing country for foreigners (totally different habits and ways of thinking about things than us Europeans :-).
Have a nice week!
Ann
Lovely weekend for all 3 of you!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better soon.
Best regards from Gail in Wa State
Had dinner w/ friends the other nite at the local Chinese Buffet....one person outdid us all....he is a 13 yr old boy and he at his entire dinner w/ chopsticks....AND, he did it very well......and as always, have enjoyed your weekend away....hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDelete