Finally on Friday I went to the doctor. I have a cold. I KNEW that!
I sometimes think I've lived too long in Japan, I've forgotten how things are done in the States. Take this doctor's visit for example. In Japan we don't have doctor's appointments. I suppose we do if there is major surgery scheduled but otherwise it is just wait in line for your turn to see the doctor. So I sat, and I sat and I sat. I'll have you know it took two hours to have a doctor look in my throat and tell me I have a cold and write me a prescription. I saw him a whole three minutes (if that!). But when I think of all the patients sitting in his waiting room from morning to evening, then, yeah, three minutes is about all he can manage per patient. (But I only paid $10 for the visit.)
So how is this done in the States? There have been times when I have been California and my mother has needed immediate medical care; no time to make an appointment. We are fairly regular visitors to the emergency room and the Urgent Care unit. In most cases, because of my mother's age and her symptoms, she is swept into the examining room and nurses and a doctor will care for her within minutes. I know there are some people out in the waiting room who have to sit for an hour or so as triaged patients are taken care of but everyone seems to realize that is the price they pay for not having an appointment.
In Japan we don't have appointments and we don't have a personal physician though I suppose if I go to the same doctor enough times he might begin to recognize me. This week's doctor seemed to dredge up the recollection (after I reminded him) that I was allergic to some medication. But if I get fed up with one doctor's system or his doctor/patient attitude then I'll move on to another doctor. That's why my mother-in-law has run the gamut of doctors in the town and she doesn't have any more she can go to! My mother in the States has a doctor who has treated her for 20 years or more, calls her by a nickname, sits on the counter as he explains things, he even knows MY name. It is such a nice feeling to know he KNOWS how we feel about treatments or living wills etc. I wonder how many patients the average American doctor sees in a day as compared to the average Japanese doctor. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese doctor works through 50 or 60, maybe more during the flu season.
But I do know that if I am feeling sick in Japan then if I can manage to sit in a waiting room for two hours a doctor will eventually see me, whereas I wonder if in the States by the time the appointment rolls around the person is all better. And I also wonder why I have more faith in the Japanese doctor's medication than the drugstore stuff whereas if I were in the States I'd probably just buy Tylenol and not even consider bothering a doctor for something so minor. This is why I think I've been in Japan too long.
So I'm dragging along but on the upswing. I've almost finished my three packets of medication (not given in childproof bottles by the way) and I sure don't want to go back to the doctor's office for another two hour wait.
Sure hope you get to feeling better soon.
ReplyDeleteI so hate having to go to doctor's appointments but when you've had breast cancer you end up with a bunch of doctors to go to. It depends on which doctor I'm seeing about how long the wait will be. I have waited over an hour to see a doctor that I had an appointment for at a specific time and it was over an hour later before I even make it back to the little room. Then you wait another 20 to 30 minutes back in that little room only to get to talk to the doctor for 5 minutes! I will have to say that the doctors I have now will talk to me for as long as I need to talk to them. They charge different rates. One doctor charges $150 for his visit and all he does it take my blood pressure and listen to my lungs and hears my complaints and takes my blood. The surgeon does a breast exam and talks a little and only charges $65. The eye doctor charges over $200 for his office visit and you are there for 3 hours minimum! I do have great insurance after I meet my deductible so I can't complain about their rates. Also, since I'm writing so much, lol, I'll add that most if not all of my doctors either aren't in on Fridays or they close early. So they don't even work an entire week. I also just had a thought since you said it had been a long time since you have been to the doctor. If it's not too personal I'm wondering if the ladies in Japan get yearly mammograms to check for breast cancer and if so at what age do they start giving them to the ladies in Japan?
ReplyDeleteI pray that you get better!
Hugs,
Angela
How true. My husband went to the doctor at the first sign of the cold and seems better already. I would never go for a cold ... and still have mine ... but who knows what else you might pick up sitting two hours in a waiting room filled with sick people.
ReplyDeleteHow rotten that your cold is dragging on. Here the GP (general practitioner) won't prescribe anything for a cold unless it's turning into an infection. We have an appointments system - ten minutes per patient - but some appointment times are kept free each day so you can telephone in the morning and get an app tent that day if you really have to. Our GP generally runs pretty much to time, but if you have to go to the hospital that could be a bit different as I don't think they allow as much time for appointments. Hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better soon!!
ReplyDeleteTanya, hope you're continuing to feel better. A lot of meds here in the states, now come in those darn little packets...some still in child-proof bottles....I've been having a lot of sinus stuff, starts early evening and then goes all nite.....nope, have not made an appointment......hugs, Pat in IN
ReplyDeleteHope you start to feel better soon. As for going to the doctor, I haven't gone since either 1999 or 2000. I've been fortunate to being in fairly good health. In a couple of months, I'll be on Medicare and plan on
ReplyDeletegoing for a checkup then - maybe. Thanks for sharing.
cindy
I hope you are feeling much better soon. Being sick is never any fun. When health care if not timely or adequate, being sick is even worse.
ReplyDeleteWe had been extremely happy with our health care here in the States until Obamacare came along. We could see our primary physician within hours if necessary and could schedule appointments with specialists within a very reasonable time and to fit our schedule. Now our insurance costs much more and we get much less. :(((
Sorry to hear that your cold is still dragging on. Take care and get better soon.
ReplyDeleteInteresting to read the comparison Japan - USA (and in Europe it is even different).
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better at the moment.
Kind greetings,
Ann