Saturday, November 2, 2013

Paying bills

Our roof has been painted and my workman was paid this morning.  He called the other day to say he would be over to pick up his fee as estimated.  Tetsu handed me money yesterday to give to the workman today.

I don't think this is the way we pay for things in the States.  As I recall, whenever anyone has to be paid in America; from the piano teacher to the gardener to the person asking for donations; my family writes a check.  But did you know that there is not a checking system in Japan?  The custom of writing checks has never been adopted in Japan and more often than not cash is the only way to go.  In recent years paying by credit card has become the norm but still paying with cash is most common.

For example, when I first came to Japan and worked in a Christian Center, I was surprised to be handed an envelope containing my month's salary in it.  That seemed like a lot of money to hold in my hands and I looked over my shoulder as I hurried to deposit the cash in my bank account.

When Tetsu and I got married, he would just come home with an envelope of money at the end of the month and I was supposed to handle how it was used during the four weeks.  I'd divy Tetsu's salary up into different envelopes and label "Tithing" or "Vet Budget" and "Weekly Food Allowance" envelopes for the month.  Even now, though Tetsu's salary is paid directly to the bank, whenever we need money for a major purchase he will use the ATM to take out an amount of cash.

My American family finds this analog way of banking very primitive and wonder how modern Japan can still be paying with cash all the time, but on the other hand, digital money is also widespread in Japan.  I can go into a convenience store and shop with only my cell phone in hand, and bus and trains can be boarded with a flash of a card still in the depths of a card case.  These days all of our utility bills are paid directly through the bank so in some ways, I find my American sister-in-law still writing checks at the end of the month a very analog way of doing things.

For many years Tetsu worked at a loan company and he handled large quantities of money.  His way of counting money was fascinating to me though any Japanese bank clerk still counts cash in this way.  Tetsu somehow flips a bundle of cash over in his hand and with a slight twist will fan the bills out under his thumb.  Rapidly, with two fingers from his other hand, he can slip through all the bills in the bundle and count the bills.  And finally (though I don't know why) there is a "snap" when all the bills are counted

Tetsu has tried to show my American family how he counts money but he couldn't do it with US bills!  The reason being that Japanese money is ALWAYS fresh from the mint where as US bills are very tired and dog eared and don't have any crispness to them.  When paying for anything in Japan, the polite way to pay is paying with crisp new bills.  My English students usually pay me cash with fresh bills; when I go to a wedding or a funeral and give a gift of money then fresh bills are the only polite way to go. 

When Tetsu was counting the money to pay the roofer I asked him to slow down a bit and let me camera/video him.  He said he is very out of practice these days (he no longer works much with money).  Let's see if the video uploads properly...  (It did, though there doesn't seem to be any sound.) 

Two-hundred and forty thousand yen to have our roof repaired, painted and sealed.  (About $2400.)  Is that a lot for roofing?  I don't know but it is a lot of money to be having in the house.  It has been paid, so my wallet is thin and light again!

16 comments:

  1. Very interesting to me as I worked in a bank for 30 years. Can't imagine not writing a check for some things although I do use a debit card so I don't have to carry cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, lots of cash, and yes expensive, but no doubt a very realistic price. Counting money, quick as a flash. Good work Tetsu. Cheers to you both, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how interesting! the price you pay the roofer sounds about right to me - to have a roof completely redone in one of the most inexpensive ways I have been told would cost me $5000.00 so for it to be repaired, painted and sealed would be ok I bet. I find it odd to use cash so much because as you say you know we don't in the states so much. I rarely write out a check anymore and mainly use my credit or debit card and almost all of our bills are drawn automatically on our bank account - a few places are not set up for that still and I have to write a check to the garbage pick up man and the water bill needs a check written but we are in a country area and the water company is small and not set up electronically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so I had to give this a try. I had some one dollar bills laying around and after watching the video quite a few times, I was able to flip through the money - sort of. :) Bet it feels good to have the roof finished in time for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss our roofers! They were wonderful cheerful people and very nice to have around the place. Very quiet now. Makes me think that we should have the fence fixed and/or a new shed or chicken coop built? I am very happy this Winter knowing that all the rotten wood has been replace with a great roof. The video is very interesting, I can see how having new bills is very important to get the technique to work. I still write checks but have started using my debit card which is new for me. I was always taught not to carry much cash around so having a lot of money would feel strange and a bit scary but it is nice to have cash at hand. And thank you, Tanya, for the lovely photos you posted yesterday of the persimmon trees. Those persimmons are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have just taught me another interesting fact about Japan - no checks. I love learning this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use my debit card a lot to pay for things, but DH prefers to use cash. I rarely write a cheque these days, mostly for people like workmen who don't have card paying equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Tetsu's money counting is really neat....and the money you paid for the roof repair sounds about right, considering what you'd pay for a new roof to be put on.....(to change the subject for a minute, I've been asked by a local quilting guild to visit and demonstrate the making of the quilted postcards, but not until the end of January, 2014..looking fwd to it) Well, you can sleep peacefully now, w/ a clean, painted, repaired roof....hugs, Pat in IN

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm counting in my head what it would be in Swedish crowns and it sounds OK. Not expensive at all compared to prices here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder how long paper money stays in circulation and what it's made of in Japan. American money is made of rag paper, which is pretty durable and has a remarkably long life. A dollar bill can be in circulation for 18 months; a 20 for 3 years. Definitely not crisp after all that, but hanging together! My neighbor's new replacement roof cost $10,000 so a repair for a quarter of that sound right. Of course, they got a little bonus - one of the roofers fell through the ceiling! The roof was rotten around the chimney and through it he went - right through the den ceiling too. Luckily you didn't have any mishaps like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once again learned something from your blog. Aside from seeing your beautiful pictures and the quilts that you make, I love the facts you share about life in Japan. Thank you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Mom still counts money that way, although a bit slower.

    Sorry about the nuisance and having to moderate. Don't these people have better things to do?

    ttfn :) Yuki

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always interesting to learn these new cultural things. I wonder if people get robbed much over there, with everyone carrying around so much cash?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Japan always seems to be a bit behind the curve when it comes to money transactions. When my husband worked for Master Card, he worked very hard at getting universal acceptance as each bank having that service wanted to prevent other bank cards with MasterCard from using them at their acquired locations. Now he is working at getting debit cards with credit card use for those travelling or not near a cash machine for their bank. It is hard going as no one wants to be first to make the move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! That is some impressive cash counting! We only write one check a month, for our rent. Our bills are all paid online. And all of our shopping is done in cash. We use cash because it hurts more to spend it, so it keeps us on budget better. Since we're saving up money for an adoption and trying to pay off student loans, every little bit of savings helps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting and I'm very surprised that you use cash. All of my bills come directly out of my checking account and I don't carry much cash. Your roof repairs sounds about right. Keep teaching us all these interesting things!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.