I haven't made a Prayer Quilt for some time but this friend eagerly accepted my offer and four of us had an impromptu prayer and tying gathering yesterday. When making a Prayer Quilt, I don't do any quilting and instead bind the quilt and put in the tying threads. I leave the threads uncut until the prayer gathering (to keep the short threads from pulling off). Even after all the threads have been tied, I suggest that the ends be left long so that other prayers can be tied in over the first knots. So what if it becomes a knotty quilt. It is not supposed to be beautiful, it is supposed to represent the prayers.
It was wonderful to sit around the quilt and take turns praying aloud for our friend. Her daughter joined us too and it really brought joy to my heart to hear how this young woman's faith had grown and bloomed probably from being exposed to her own mother's strong faith. (I've known the girl since she was three!) The quilt will be taken to my friend's church this Sunday for more prayers to be tied in and I will get a label made this week with this requested Bible verse.
"Take your everyday ordinary life
-- your sleeping, eating, going to work, and walking-around life --
and place it before God as an offering."Romans 12:1 (Message Bible)
I am not really familiar with the tradition but I like the concept. How large are the squares? How are the ties spaced? Could something heavier than thread be used for the ties?
ReplyDeleteOur church has a (knitting) prayer shawl ministry. My knitting is such that most things end up trapezoidal, and so I don't offer my services there. But prayer quilting I think I could do...
ReplyDeleteP.S. I like your Bible verse.