Sunday, November 25, 2018

Thanksgiving

I hope all my American blog friends had a good Thanksgiving holiday.  Tetsu and I got together with some good friends and their families for the holiday though we celebrated on Friday rather than on Thursday.  (Japan has a similar "Thanksgiving" maybe more like Labor Day in the States, where thanks are given to workers and thus Friday is the day off.)
It takes a bit of work to have a real American Thanksgiving in our part of Japan and it wouldn't even be attempted without the Yamadas opening up their home and kitchen for the day.  Marlene has an "American" kitchen with a full sized oven and hers is the only oven large enough to roast a turkey!  That's usually not a problem in Japan because...  No turkeys!  Turkey and turkey meat have yet to get to Japan except for some expensive import delicatessens and in recent years... Costco!  Yes!  Costco stocks frozen turkeys direct from the States and a couple of weeks ago Marlene and Keiko, (another long time friend) drove the three hours to go to Costco and buy Thanksgiving food.  Costco is too far away for Tetsu and me but it is nice to have someone in our group be a Costco member (Keiko) that enables us to buy a turkey.
I think Marlene and Keiko came home with black olives and dill pickles and canned pumpkin for pumpkin pies...  At least I know that those essentials can't normally be bought in Japanese supermarkets...  Marlene asked me to pick up some canned cranberry jelly while I was in Detroit and that was my American contribution plus I made salad and a green bean casserole.  Let's see...  Stuffing and carrots and potatoes also got made by Marlene and it turned out that she ended up making the pumpkin pies too because Keiko found herself in bed with a fever the day before Thanksgiving and she sent her family to the feast and slept her Thanksgiving Day away!
The Yamadas slaving away over the turkey while the rest of us try to look busy.
Oops...  I guess I'm not looking busy.  Toshi is giving me advice about my iPhone...  Let's see...  this year there were 13 of us at the Yamadas... and we had a jolly time and ate to our full!  We even remembered to send Toshi home with a Thanksgiving obento for bedridden Keiko!
 

5 comments:

  1. Poor Keiko missing out on the day. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all. The food looks delicious. Good food, good friends, good fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Thanksgiving! We altered the day we celebrated, too. We had our Thanksgiving on Wednesday so more family members could attend. I understand completely how difficult it can be to find American foods in other countries. We went on a search when we were in Norway for foods similar to your search in Japan. :) Happy Thanksgiving a little late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our last place we had a small Japanese oven. Before buying the turkey, I measured the inside, and went to a shop where they have frozen turkeys. I went through the whole freezer, measuring each turkey to find one small enough to fit. There was only one possibility, but when I took it to the counter for check-out, the clerk said there was no price marked on it and I should go find another. I told her that was the only one I could use, so how long would I have to wait to get a price on it? As it turned out, it went home with me, and though it fit rather snugly in the oven, it starred in the feast that year and most of the stuffing was cooked on the side. The pies had to be cooked in a cardboard box oven outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving in Japan, looks like wonderful fellowship and food.
    Sorry to hear about your problems with John, it doesn't sound good. Hope he straightens up soon, you can't live with a dog you are afraid of. they are supposed to be fun and loving. Looks aren't everything. I had a boyfriend like that once, ha ha. Very good looking but no good on the inside. I finally got rid of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tanya what a lovely post ,we dont do thanksgiving here in Australia so i enjoyed your post seeing you all celebrate,hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.