Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Miscellaneous

So, what I have I been doing this week?  I must be busy because I haven't been able to do much blogging!  Let me check my photo files though I don't think I've been taking many pictures either...
Actually I missed the unveiling of the quilt my patchwork group made for a friend for her 60th birthday because I was in Detroit at the time...  I think the birthday was really in September which goes to show how hard it has been for this group to get together!  There was always somebody that was busy (usually Mrs. Furui... and as we gather at her house, she needs to be there) or who couldn't come (the quilt recipient! who of course didn't realize we were planning a party just for her).  October came and went and I was the only one who wouldn't be around the first week of November and the next possible date was sometime in December so the surprise party got held while I was gone (with my blessings).  Of course that made the surprise even a bigger surprise because the friend's birthday had come and gone way back in September with seemingly no interest from her patchwork group!  She was definitely surprised!!!  This is the quilt we made based on all the songs our friend wrote for the kindergarten.  (Someone sent me a photo while I was in Detroit.)
We are still dealing with John and have good days and bad days.  My vet came out again yesterday and helped us a bit and then she took John back with her to the clinic so that he could be shampooed.  That's not a job that we're probably going to be able to do for awhile though in the clinic atmosphere he seems rather docile.  When I went to pick John up in the evening he was very happy to see me and kept running to sit on my lap for safety as the vet is very strict with him as she put him through some training exercises.  Hah!  John only cuddles up to me when everyone else in the room looks authoritative!  I guess I really need to ramp up my severe voice and attitude when I am with him otherwise he just ignores me (at best.)
Let's see...  after I got back from Detroit Marlene and I went out for coffee so that I could report on my wedding dress shopping with Leiya.  We had cafe latte at the coffee shop in my town. 
Marlene asked the barrister to make an anniversary latte in honor of her daughter's first wedding anniversary (take a photo and send it to her daughter). 
Cute!  The barrister got the spelling on ANNIVERSARY right (I think) but the 1st came out a 1th.  Good try!
I continue to read a lot and listen to a lot of audio-books.  I had a shock this week when listening to an audio-book on Alzheimer's that I'd thought would be interesting...  Around chapter 5...  CHAPTER 5! I realized I'd read/listened to this book before!  I went back to my Goodreads account and checked when I'd listened to it.  In April!  Of this year!!!  It's not like I read the book 5 years ago or something!!!  That's sad!!!  Maybe I'd better continue re-reading the book to put the suggested preventive programme into effect....

And recently I'm also knitting but maybe I'll wait to reveal that until I get the sweater to more of a recognizable shape...

5 comments:

  1. How does one knit a xmas vest when he is home all day???>? YOu have had a lot going on with family this year..... don't be hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs are pack animals where one dog is the leader. In Jack's world, the Vet is the leader. When he comes to your home, there is no leader and his insecurity causes problems. With Nikko, I had no problems except that when Paul took her out, he allowed her to lead and confusion set it. Some breeds are more eager to please than others. My Sheltie took only 15 minutes to get everything right to the point she didn't even need a leash. Nikko still remains confused, now that Paul is nor around and she is stuck with a bossy and demanding mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful quilt. I love the musical notes at the bottom of each block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has happened to me before with movie and with books. It sounds vaguely familiar and when I get to a certain part, yes, the recognition kicks in. So funny that it was an Alzheimer's book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our daughter & son-in-law adopted a dog three months ago. I was at their home this week, and saw the progress they are making with her. She will not come to me (a stranger in the house), but she will take treats that I will leave on the floor for her. She loves to go on long walks & runs (5 miles!), but she does not want anyone to undo her leash/harness after the exercise. It makes me think she has been mishandled. (Not unlike John's past?) They are taking her slow progress with sweet diligence. I hope you two are as well. Just imagine that you have taken in a human child; would you expect that young (or, even old) being to immediately bend to your will, all the while YOUR not knowing what this being's past held? I hope you and Tetsu can provide care and patience and not give up on this sweet John. It sounds as if he just wants to have a home where he is understood, and later, gently trained. ~ T.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.