Thursday, November 15, 2018

Leiya's wedding dress!

Tony has been waved away from reading today's post as I am revealing Leiya's wedding dress today.

Sunday arrived and Leiya made the decision to go back to one of the three salons we had visited the two days previous.  That alone decreased the possible dresses to three...

This time just Leiya and I went back to David's Bridal and Leiya re-tried on the three dresses (and a couple more).  As she pondered and considered, I looked at Mother-of-the-Bride dresses.  (There is a whole section of those!)  Actually I had thought I would just wear a black dress that I already had at home.  I find it difficult to shop in Japan (my arms or legs or something are too long) and the prices are much too high for me to seriously consider anything but casual clothing...  I probably wasn't going to go dress shopping for myself in Japan but with only two more days in Detroit it seemed unlikely I'd find something suitable to wear to a May wedding...  Anyway, Leiya got to watch me try on dresses for awhile, but I if nothing else I decided I didn't want to wear something long or something beaded or something slinky...  I may have to do with my black...
And FINALLY Leiya made her dress decision!
"I think this is the dress I want."
"Are you saying "Yes!" to the dress?" asked the lady who had helped us for the past two days.
 "Yes.  This is the one."
At which point Leiya was given a chalk board that said "I said Yes at David's." and the clerk rang a bell loudly alerting other groups of shoppers that a dress had been chosen, and Leiya was asked to walk a bit around the room and model her chosen dress!  A big event this wedding dress shopping in America!

I admit...  The dress Leiya chose was my first choice too and I teared up when taking pictures of her holding the chalkboard.  And Tony's mother said this was her first choice too when we told her later of Leiya's choice.  And for that matter, we had sent Tetsu some pictures of the many dresses Leiya had tried on and he had expressed a fondness for this one too...  Did his comment sway her decision?

Yeah!  The wedding dress decision has been made and I managed to be in on the whole process and contribute to my Mother-of-the-Bride role.  Unfortunately, the rest of this wedding planning is getting left to Leiya and Tony and Tony's family...  I wish there was more I could do to make the event exciting and joyful...  Ahh...  There is one more job I may be able to take on...  Can you guess?

13 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful dress made more beautiful by Leiya modeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the dresses you've showed us, this was my favorite too. She made a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice! She will be an amazingly beautiful bride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is beautiful and so is Leiya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous dress and bride-to-be! You did good in your mother-of-the-bride role. These are memories the two of you will treasure forever. Now I'm going to give a guess as to what other job you may be able to take on. Make a wedding quilt? Pay for the honeymoon? Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the dress from THIS David's Bridal chain?

    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/davids-bridal-is-filing-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-but-says-your-dress-is-safe-2018-11-15/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress and your daughter is looks lovely. Thanks for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't able to physically be at my daughter's wedding dress shopping. She took her close friends, and they emailed me photos. When I saw the tea-length, full skirt, it brought tears to my eyes. I knew it was the one. Before I said anything, she said, "I think this is it!"

    'twas, 'twas.

    Happily every after wishes for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the dress is perfect. It cooperates with her so that you see her beauty. The dress, while pretty and pleasing to look at too, allows us to make a connection with Leiya herself. I really like the effect.

    Are you going to make something for the wedding using textiles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so very much for sharing these photos and experiences with us, Tanya. Your daughter is lovely and the dress looks like the perfect one. My love to all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress is beautiful and your beautiful daughter makes it look even lovelier. My guess is you are making a wedding quilt?! I've always wanted to make a double wedding ring quilt but then I bought one from the 1930's. It is lovely in a soft color pallet. When on our bed, it looks so 'busy'. With all those circles, I've decided I no longer want to make one. It is very attractive hanging for display but too busy(for my liking) on the bed. I'm interested in what you will be doing and, if it's a quilt, what pattern you choose. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would guess you will be making your dress. Is their a flower girl in the wedding? You could be doing that. Whaterer, it will be beautiful. It is wonderful you had this special time with your daughter.
    Jean in Memphis.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.