Saturday, April 25, 2015

To Whom It May Concern...

The Pine Burr Quilt is finished. 
It still needs a label but I'm sort of stuck for what to write...  I see that my very first Pine Burr block was started on January 14, 2013 for no real purpose but to keep my hands busy in the evening.  As the pile of blocks grew I came to think of this quilt as a hand made labor of love for one of my children.  I figured someday one of them was going to get married and instead of making them a quick quilt I'd be able to give them a mother's "heirloom".  I wondered if it would be finished before either of them made an announcement.  I also figured that the "early bird gets the worm" and when the latter child got married then they'd just have to settle for a machine made quilt... 

But neither child looks like they are planning to get married anytime soon so I've got a quilt made but I don't know what the label should say.

"To...  whom it may concern... with devotion and love from your mother"

Do I just this put this quilt aside for a someday wedding present or do I hand it over to one of my children now? 
When I decided that this was going to be a wedding present quilt I thought I was really making a monster quilt but it actually isn't big enough for even a double bed...  I really could have made a dozen more blocks for a larger bed cover but at the time this seemed like such a huge task that might not even get finished in my lifetime!  Now I look at it and think...  "Hmm..  Puny."  Maybe I should just send it on now... It would look nice on a single bed. 
The pattern was one from Yoko Saito's books and I actually made an applique border for it that I didn't like.  That border is in a box somewhere ready to be used on another quilt someday.  I really like the simplicity of the border that got put on and was happy to have a chance to do some fancy quilting.
Yoko's pattern called for a lot more quilting within the lattice and grid quilting inside the Pine Burr blocks but I'm calling it quits.  All those tiny triangles have been quilted and even if they don't photo well, this is a pretty densely quilted quilt.
As I was taking out all the basting threads I found two holes in the quilt where one of the cats, probably Mi, gnawed awhile.  Mi likes to chew on loose threads and she must have chewed up to the quilt.  I tried darning the holes but just made a bigger mess.  Maybe I'll applique a couple hearts or embroider in a ladybug or something....  (That actually is Chip there who spent quite a lot of time UNDER the quilt when it was being quilted.)
The quilt got put on Leiya's old bed just for photograpy purposes.  Take a picture and off it went!  An older quilt got spread in its place.  The Pine Burr is washed and fresh smelling and I don't want any cat fur (or worse) on it until it is given to whoever.

22 comments:

  1. The quilt is beautiful. This is one that is on my list of quilts to make. The colors are wonderful and very cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Quilt Tanya, It will tell you where it is to go, just wait and see. Label it with the details and leave room for the name when the time comes to pass it on. Cheerio from Marie in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " Made with love, for you, over the years", the Pine Burr is stunning, and even though some of the felines thought it might well be their own, they need to know it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to have a quilt waiting for a wedding. Out of six kids, only #6 got one for his wedding. Luckily the two took their time and since she was from Hawaii, I could enjoy making a Hawaiian sampler and it was hung at their reception. #3 daughter had to wait for her year and a half anniversary and #2 probably waited ten years or so. #4 daughter got one about four years late and though the others have quilts made by me, there is no special wedding quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya that is a STUNNER - I'm surprised you finished it as quick as you did, honestly! What a lot of work! I think it would be fine as a wedding quilt, although I'd be sorely tempted to keep it myself, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's FABULOUS! I like the "to whom it may concern" idea but maybe this is meant to be your quilt for a while longer. And definitely put the time span on the label!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea of a wedding quilt for one of your children is great! But since you think it is a tad small fo a big bed.... How about having ready to give for a future grandchild....? I saw somewhere on a blog ( sorry, can't remember where) a quilter making wedding quilts for her grandchildren who were still small. I just thought that was such wonderful thinking on her part since we don't know if we will be around when that day comes. I plan to do that but it is still in the thinking. I am a slow starter:) Anyway, the quilt is gorgeous and whoever receives it is a very lucky person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pine Burr quilt is so beautiful it would be a shame to keep it packed away for what might be a long time...do send it off now so it can shine and share your love.

    Joanne in PA

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a breathtakingly beautiful quilt and a labor of love. I can't take my eyes of the blocks, the tiny triangles or your Stunning hand quilting! Love the cheerful yellow border!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous quilt! It would be treasured by anyone who receives it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love the colors. I would definitely give it to someone now, to be enjoyed now. Who knows what tomorrow brings? It's too beautiful to be packed away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations...it is an absolute beauty!!! I'm surprised you aren't labelling it "Dear Tanya" and keeping it for yourself :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a stunning quilt with lots of energy and lively design, held together with the calm and elegant border. Eventually the quilt will tell you its destinatination. How about this for a subtitle:' A little bit of love in every stitch.'

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful! Save it for a wedding! Put a hanger on the back and don't worry about it's size!
    Diane K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a cheerful and beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing. One milestone off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It truly is fabulous! Whoever gets it will be very fortunate indeed and whoever doesn't get it will be a tad bit jealous. Who knows, if you give it to one of the kids, it might inspire them to take that walk down the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so so so pretty. My favorite of all your quilts. I remember when you started it and the appliqué you were considering. I love how this turned out. Save it for a wedding is my vote. Blessed is the kid that ends up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful quilt! You should be very, very proud of it. I don't think I could have done all those small triangles. Someone is going to get a treasure! I also like your models!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats ..... a beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Pine Burr is beautiful! Congratulations & whoever gets it will have a very special treasure. I enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful!!! I love the yellow border. I remember when you started. What a lot of work, and such a gorgeous quilt as a result. It makes me want to try this pattern. Thank you for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.