HOWEVER! Tetsu made up for my lack of photography by taking nearly 3000 photos on HIS camera and that's not counting what got photographed on our iPhones, so I am not lacking for photos!!!
Okay.... So we had to get our travels started with a required PCR test 24 hours before leaving Japan (as opposed to 72 hours ahead for returning to Japan). We made the error of booking a flight out on Monday which meant that there were only one or two options in the city and nearby cities for us to get a PCR test on Sunday morning. (And at a fee of $250 per person!) It was very easy however. Park, someone came to the car and gave us a vial and instructions, we spit in our respective vials and sealed them up and handed them in and went on our way. Three hours later we'd gotten our results back on our iPhones. Easy!
Then it was home to pack (4 large bags and two carry ons) and tidy the house for our cat carer who would be coming in twice a day. John got taken to the vet the day before.
This was Tetsu's way of securing our dish cupboard to prevent it from opening in case of an earthquake while we were gone... He boarded up the place!
We set off before noon and drove four hours for a 9 1/2 hour night flight to Los Angeles. Narita airport was like a ghostown with hardly anyone there and no stores or services open. A sad change from the exciting airport of past years... Of course Japan is still only allowing Japanese citizens and permanent residents (me) and recently, foreign students and people on business are allowed into the country. The country still isn't open to tourists and for pleasure traveling.
When we left Japan it was raining...
Let me just say... Although it was easy enough to get through customs and immigration at LAX, Los Angeles Airport is really not well equipped to handle the volume of people who pass through it daily. We were shocked that after all our effort to get our PCR documents and vaccinations requirements in order for travel, no one at LAX checked any of them (they were thoroughly checked in Japan before leaving), we were just waved on through!
Alas, our final destination wasn't LAX however, it was Indianapolis, and for that flight we had a 6 hour wait at LAX. Again, the airport didn't have any seating or waiting area and we couldn't go to our boarding gate because we'd arranged to have Takumi and Julieta come to the airport after work and pick up two of our suitcases!!!
This was an act of love because from their house to the airport it takes over two hours... just to give us a welcome hug and collect two of our suitcases so that we could travel light to Indiana. And so we waited... Sitting on the floor like we were camping out!!! Pretty soon our phones were running out of battery yet there was no place to recharge them. I finally found an outlet in the ladies bathroom and stayed in there for 20 minutes and later found another outlet on the floor for vacumms and no one seemed to care that I sat hunched in a corner charging my phone...
We later moved to a Starbucks and finally many hours later...Takumi and Julieta! Bearing a pizza!!!
It was "Hello", "Good-bye" and then Tetsu and I were off to Indianapolis!
Welcome home! So far, it sounds like you had a great trip! I always find coming home bittersweet. It's good to be home but I miss the kids!
ReplyDeleteIt's exciting to read this - can't wait for the next installment. It was such a great idea to offload two suitcases so you could travel lighter to Indianapolis!
ReplyDeleteSo excited that you're back, safe and sound. I can't wait to hear about your trip, seeing your little Luka for the first time, in person. Welcome back.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a journey, but so worth it to see family. :) We are glad to not be traveling any more after doing it for work for so many years. I, too, have spent many hours in Narita airport. Daughter Catherine and I were traveling from Cincinnati to Singapore to join M/S Sun Viking and a trip from Singapore to Hong Kong. Back in those days we didn't need tests and masks to fly.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited you are back! What great and thoughtful kids you have, showing up with pizza. :)
ReplyDeleteGood to know you are safe back, and presumably all is well - but not being able to charge phones at an airport these days is rather a poor show, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a start to your journey…you are now home safe and sound. I look forward to reading all about your family catch-up.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you back. I'm so surprised that LAX doesn't have seating or charging stations for phones. My husband and I were reminiscing about walking out on the tar mack to board a plane and how visitors could watch in the waiting area, with lots of seating, for your plane to arrive or take off. Ahhh, the good ole days. Nice of Takumi and Julia to meet you with a pizza! I look forward to seeing your travel pictures and hearing about Luka.
ReplyDeleteSo happy your trip went well and you had safe travels! I know it can be so exhausting, one needs a vacation after the vacation! I'm sure it was the best to see your children and grandchild in the flesh at last. Hugs from NC, KittyAnn
ReplyDeleteI know you must be thrilled to be home, but sad to leave the kids. Can't wait to hear all about it over the coming days.
ReplyDelete