Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wedding anniversary!

Our days go by normally though for some reason the last two weeks have seemed long...  A lot of rain.  Not getting out much...  life is quiet in our area.

In Japan however, the rain has caused flooding and landslides and the southern part of Japan is in a state of emergency.  And evacuation centers are trying to cope with Corona issues at the same time.  It sounds like a nightmare...

I went to the pool yesterday to swim but there was a lot of grumbling in the locker room before and after I went for my swim.  Of course we are required to wear masks when in the building.  Lockers are assigned and cleaned after every use.  But now there are no talking signs posted in the pool area and also signs reminding people of social distancing.  I tried to greet an acquaintance I hadn't seen for four months and she zipped her mouth and whispered, "if the life-guards catch us talking they'll caution us."  It was true, every time two or three people got too close to each other, the life-guards were waving at them to step apart.

Once in the locker room the ladies were complaining that it is like in a jail with guards standing over us all and monitoring interaction.

"I get stressed out just being in the pool area!  At least here we can talk without a lifeguard (all men today) stepping in and shushing me!  It isn't any fun at the pool anymore!"

On my way out of the pool facilities I also ran into one of the housekeepers who are always wiping things down and setting the locker room right.  I waved and asked her how she'd been during sheltering down and she whispered, "I'm sorry.  We're not allowed to talk to anyone while in the building."  I went on my way feeling like ignoring people was going to be the only way one can not get into trouble...

I stopped in at a fabric store on my way home and the store announcement had a continual warning going on over the loudspeaker.

"Keep distant from other customers and staff.  Please don't touch things unless absolutely necessary.  Please refrain from speaking to anyone as much as possible."

Yes, enjoyment has gone out of pool activities but maybe that is true of everywhere.  "Don't sing in church, just listen."  "No screaming or waving of hands at any theme parks.  Sit in a ride silently.  Don't talk when in a restaurant."

Well, it is the way of the world now just to keep as many people healthy as possible.
********************************************************
Onto a happier theme!!!

Tetsu and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary!  Yeah!  That is a big one!  We went out for lunch...  I have requested a Pandora charm to commemorate the milestone (Tetsu can't buy things online without my help...)  And Leiya sent us t-shirts!
Here's what we looked like 40 years ago.  I sewed the wedding dress from a pattern and wide lace that my mother had sent me from the States.  The kimono was loaned to me from an English student whose father-in-law had been a famous painter who painted it for HER wedding apparel.
 And here we are 40 years later in Leiya's matching t-shirts!
I seem to have more fluffy hair than in my younger days and Tetsu has a lot less!

18 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Oh my goodness, those are great photos - your wedding photos, and your current photos. Beautiful smiles. Love the t-shirts and it's the best kind of countdown!! Sorry about your pool experience. That sounds so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary. It's hard to celebrate when everything seems to be shut down. In Ca., restaurants are open only for take out or outside dining. Your t-shirts are cute. Is the color any indication of the sex of the baby? Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
  3. 23 weeks, what a wonderful anniversary celebration. Love both your gowns, and today, just as beautiful together. XXX to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing your wedding pictures - they are beautiful. So happy you have a grandchild to look forward to during this crazy time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary - the keeping quiet and not talking thing would drive me crazy, we are wearing our masks and keeping to our family pod.... love the Tshirts you both look so happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!Your pictures are all so good and you are such a handsome couple! Your garden plants and flowers are beautiful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for 40 wonderful years with many more to come. I have been following your
    blog for some time & enjoy your journey from my home in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary. Like me and my husband you have two sets of wedding attire - people sometimes wonder if I married the same man twice.
    Sad to hear about the conditions at the pool. Social distancing is depressing, but necessary. The infections are spreading in Tokyo, so take care if/when Tokyoites visit Tochigi.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary. Like me and my husband you have two sets of wedding attire - people sometimes wonder if I married the same man twice.
    Sad to hear about the conditions at the pool. Social distancing is depressing, but necessary. The infections are spreading in Tokyo, so take care if/when Tokyoites visit Tochigi.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! And how exciting that you are going to be grandparents! I am surprised you are not allowed to talk to each other. At my brother's funeral, they did tell us not to sing, so we listened to recordings for the most part, but we did talk to each other. Here, there are too many people who are even fighting wearing masks. Not talking would probably be way too much here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary. I don't get out much and didn't realize that there was no singing in church until I saw an article.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessings to you both! You look so very happy! And why not, such a joyous occasion as your 40th wedding anniversary AND impending grandparenthood! Your town's restrictions sound as if they are at least trying to keep people safe. I so wish the government here would impose more strict mask wearing, it is getting very worrisome in many parts of the US these days. My daughter and son-in-law live in south Florida where things are so dire right now with the virus. Prayers for our world. Hugs from afar in NC, KittyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on 40 years of marriage! Lovely photos, you have both worn pretty well. The regulations are irksome, people in southern Australia are slow to take up the idea of wearing masks, but it seems a small price to pay for good health.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary you two! I wish you could celebrate in better style but you are both still here and seem happy and healthy, what more should one want?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary! Here, 40 years is a "Ruby Anniversary" You look amazing today as you did 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary to you both! You are such a cute couple.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.