The next time I saw her she had figured out how to make flowers and then we worked on another simple pattern. This continued for a few weeks until she was making edging and decorations. Corona hit and we stopped getting together for two or three months which was just as well because there wasn't anything more I could teach her about tatting. She had bought her own shuttles and book and was making things with different colored threads.
I really enjoyed being with M-san as she seemed to be an eager learner about just about anything and so a couple of weeks ago when we had all relaxed a bit about Corona, I invited her over again... But as I'd exhausted my tatting lessons I decided to push fabric collaging at her... ("Wouldn't you like to learn fabric collaging? Here! Let me teach you!") in the form of a Happy Village quilt!
We each decided to make a Happy Village and chatted (in English! M-san is excellent in English!) while we collaged. The first week we got the basic shapes applied. The second week we put on roofs and windows and I showed M-san how to do free-motion quilting on the sewing machine.
Today M-san arrived with presents for me that she had made herself. She was already an expert in macrame and she brought me a pretty necklace and small accessory bag.
She also brought me a tatted and beaded bracelet! Tatting with beads is advanced work, let me tell you!!!
Today M-san finished quilting her small quilt and even got a label put on. It was the first time for M-san to play around with thread drawing. Didn't she do a great job?! I'm sure proud of my excellent student.
She looks pretty proud of herself too!
And this was MY Happy Village...I planned a little farther along and left room for a border...
Now what shall M-san and I do for our NEXT project?
Oh, my! Your villages are just awesome and she is a very talented student! Would love to come and learn as well :)
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to have found such an enthusiastic and talented craft friend. I'd never thought of having a Happy Village at night; good for M-San.
ReplyDeleteMaybe a tote, purse, or wallet next? Different skills and practical.
Have fun!
M-San is a natural! What beautiful work she has done on her first project! I always love your projects Tanya! M-San needs to start piecing and quilting next. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteLove M-sans projects. Gotta love people that ca just go-for-it.
ReplyDeleteI love the villages. I love your sun (which could also be the blood moon we saw a few days ago). Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOh I do love tatting though just do not have the dexterity for it, my Mom use to make flowers and butterflies. Your student is a rapid learner! Her gifts are so lovely, isn't it so special to get handmade gifts? :) Macrame seems to be back in vogue as of the last year or so. I remember it was all the rage when I was in my twenties, over 40 years ago! Happy Villages a Karen Eckmeier design? I think I may have her villages book! Your student's village is so cute, yours too! Y'all are keeping busy busy! I have been working on a guild challenge piece - has to represent any kind of plant life, has to be 18 x 24 inches and can be in any style, ie: pieced/applique'/mixed etc. I decided to do a Scottish thistle and just completed a drawing of the design today after looking at many line drawings of thistles online! I've recently picked up punch needle again, I have so much thread I need to use up and I find the punching meditative. Hugs from afar in NC! KittyAnn
ReplyDeleteWell done, it shows you are an excellent teacher. Love both villages.
ReplyDeleteThis is proof that you are an excellent teacher! That tatted bracelet is beautiful, and both of the happy village quilts are wonderful.
ReplyDeleteYou picked a great student. Be glad you didn't have to teach me!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you found a student who is so enthusiastic! She has done a great job with the macrame and the tatting, and both the Happy Villages look wonderful. I really like the boat and the moon in the background.
ReplyDelete