Friday, April 7, 2017

My big mouth

I spent yesterday with my patchwork group.  We only all seem to get together once a month and most of the time we end up doing more chatting than sewing.  Some people make sweets and some people bring extra rice balls for lunch, Mrs. Furui serves tea.  Her poor husband is relegated all day to his upstairs office.
Before we got down to the purpose of the gathering, working on a quilt for the hospital's Children's ward, Mrs. Furui asked for advice about quilting on a baby quilt her sister is making.  Such a BEAUTIFUL quilt this is going to be!
I gather that some comment I made years ago put a bee in Mrs. Furui's sister's bonnet...  I have basically forgotten but the comment seems to have stuck.  It seems (and I do recall this) that Mrs. Furui's sister asked Mrs. Furui to make a baby quilt for one of the sister's friends.  And Mrs. Furui made an absolutely gorgeous quilt!  My comment seems to have been that I sure hope the sister appreciated Mrs. Furui for the gorgeous work as I would not be putting in all the hours and detail for a SISTER'S FRIEND'S baby quilt.  And I guess I specifically said that Mrs. Furui's sister better do something very nice for Mrs. Furui.  And this comment got back to the sister...  And she seems to have taken it that I expected her to make her own quilt...  All this in friendly humor of course.  (I hope.)
So Mrs. Furui's sister took this comment to heart and when her own daughter was expecting she vowed that she wasn't going to let Tanya make any comments again and that she'd make her OWN quilt and not expect Mrs. Furui to do it.
And she surely went at it with preciseness and vigor!  Look at all the work that is in this quilt flimsy.  Of course everything hand embroidered, hand pieced (yes, all those triangles too) and hand appliqued.  And of course this is going to be all hand quilted.
Mrs. Furui was being called in to suggest and trace quilting lines on the flimsy, get the quilt sandwiched and then return the quilt to the new grandmother (her sister) for the hand quilting.  And that's where the patchwork group's advice was requested...
Around the baby's name a wreath of flowers will be quilted.  As for the rest...  A grid pattern?  A rope circle pattern?  And the border...  More rope pattern?

"Uh-hum...  If it were ME, I'd put a double twisting "ribbon" around all those blocks (meaning a lot more quilting in the white areas) and leave the rope patterns out...  that seems rather boyish to me.  And then maybe some scallop quilting in the border with a sprinkling of the same flowers from the center wreath?  That would tie it all together and look very feminine..."

Notice how opinionated I get with other people's quilts...  Mrs. Furui's sister is probably going to hate me for speaking up...  I did add,

"It's just a suggestion..."

On to the purpose of the day!
The Liberty circles were ready to be sewn together and though we hadn't planned to add a border it seemed like the flimsy needed one.  We all got very creative (with Mrs. Furui's fabric stash) and decided to add a graduated border.  The fabric graduated in blue tones from almost black to light blue.  It was actually very simple to do and makes for an interesting border that doesn't take away from the circles.
We will consider quilting options next month.  (Machine quilting is high on the suggestion list...  that leaves it to me but with my already big mouth I didn't feel as if I could decline the honor....  Rats.)

7 comments:

  1. Two fantastic flimsies, the first with exquisite embroidery, the second with a striking design (love the border, too).
    It is not how big your mouth is, it is what words come out of it! Your comment resulted in a fantastic quilt that little Miki will always remember her grandmother for.
    Well done, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Liberty fabric quilt design is so nicely modern yet so suitable for showing off the fabrics. Just lovely.
    The baby quilt...my oh my. The design and workmanship is superb; it's clear both Mrs. Furui and her sister are equally talented and dedicated fiber artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing quilt! I agree that the result of your words is wonderful. On a different note, I love the little mice in the first photo. Is there a pattern for them? It almost seems like something I could manage since my sewing skills are so minimal. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic baby quilt! Hope you will be able to get a photo of it once it is complete to share with your readers. It is absolutely gorgeous and hasn't even been quilted yet. Your suggestions sound wonderful. Your group's liberty circles are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a gorgeous quilt! Mrs. Furui's sister is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Big Mouth Club. I'll slide over on the bench and make room for you. Seems I'm the president of that club all the time. My latest blunder was somehow agreeing to be the "messenger" between two women in my quilt guild who had a difference of opinion in the past. "Sure, I'll mention to XXXXX what you want me to tell her." I immediately realized I shouldn't have agreed to be the go-between. Not a comfortable spot to be in! They need to work this out with each other and leave me out of it. I need to learn to say no, but it caught me by surprise. Before I knew it, The Big Mouth had said yes, because I want to please everyone...which is impossible.

    Those quilts are gorgeous. Any quilting stitches will only enhance them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When people ask for ideas, they don't have to take all the ones they get. Some ideas need to be tweaked or combined with something else or set aside as too much trouble.Fishermen know about catch and release.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.