Monday, April 10, 2017

A present

Tetsu came home one night last week with a knotted up plastic bag...  It could have been trash from his car from all the way he presented it to me!

"A present.  From me.  It was expensive but I thought you might find use for it."

It seems that Tetsu was at the city hall on business about something and there in the lobby was a booth of hand craft items that some lady had laid out.  It sounds like she is given space one day a month to sell her items and Tetsu walked past the table, took a second look knowing how I love hand crafted things and then started again on his way.  But the astute shop keeper, sensing an interested would-be customer, invited Tetsu to look over her goods and began telling him about the things that she makes.  Clothing, bags... I don't know what all.
Tetsu shied away from her prices though and was ready to start back to his original business when she asked what price HE would think reasonable for say... this traveling sewing kit.  And Tetsu named a price and she said "SOLD!"  So that's how I got my unexpected gift.
From the outside the box doesn't look like it hides so many secret sections...  Each side has a collage of different flowers made from fabric and lace and beads.  Inside there are pockets that hold little scissors and thread etc, and there is a freestanding pincushion that Tetsu was quite taken with.  It actually took a lot of work to make this little box and I should think though maybe a bit dear on Tetsu's wallet, it is a lovely present and the lady was probably very pleased to find someone who sort-of appreciated her work.
As a bonus she added some little flowers that she'd been making for something (they could still be sewn onto some bag I suppose).  Actually the cats find them to be wonderful cat toys and they have gotten knocked off the table and swished under the chairs and and sofa numerous times already in the three days they have been in our house.  The lady also threw in some toothpick holders that she had made from origami, probably with regular wrapping paper.  How often one needs a toothpick holder I don't know but they are pretty little decorations.

Thank you, Tetsu!

11 comments:

  1. Great choice...congratulations to Tetsu. The box would be useful next to a sewing machine as well as a travel sewing box. And it is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet gift! My husband would have done the same kind of presentation - and I"d be so touched that he bought something so nice!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gem of a present, and a gem of a husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hand work, and Tetsu, so thoughtful to get this for you. I am sure it will be on display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to smile at this because my husband wouldn't have understood what that was even had it been explained to him. Now food items ... that is another thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very nice sewing chatelaine Tetsu found for you! I have a similar pattern with templates somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Itnis a very sweet gift and a cute sewing box :) Reminds me of one that my mother made for me once, but it was much larger. Same base idea, though. I do love new (to me) tools and notions - and project bags and boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an exquisite gift! I can imagine the work that went into the creation of all those items. And, what a thoughtful gift from your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful gift of love. It has made so many feel so good - the maker, Tetsu, you, the cats and us readers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw something like that, but Harry Potter themed, a few years ago. Yes, lots of work, but really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a sewing box like this a very good friend made for me years ago, mine is pretty but with less handwork on it. What a thoughtful gift Tetsu gave you. Thank you for sharing your travels and experiences along with your quilting. I really enjoy reading them all. Elaine (stenbraaten@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.