Sunday, September 28, 2008

Breakfast

I have a couple of days to myself because Tetsu is off in Tokyo. So what am I doing? I decided to make some granola (inspired by the Lammers since we used to do that together 30 years ago) so I went out and bought ingredients and yesterday roasted a batch. I used very dark brown sugar (something from Okinawa) and so it looks like I burned it but it actually tastes pretty good. Probably in the long run it is a lot cheaper to make my own granola but paying out the lump sum of over $50 for almonds, peanuts, raisins and walnuts made me gulp. A lot of this will get used in fall and winter baking so I made a stop at the wholesale market but still, that seems a lot for a few kilos of nuts. Also made a stop at the supermarket for oats. Let's see... I threw in oats, peanuts, almonds, coconut, sesame seeds, soy bean powder, brown sugar, honey and oil. After roasting I added the raisins.

For many years I've made my own yogurt which used to be a hassle but nowadays my original starter (from years ago!) is Caspian yogurt which grows at room temperature. I just put my jar on the counter, add milk (or sometimes soy milk) and let it stand for a day. So much easier that keeping yogurt jars in a pot of hot water or trying to float them in the bathtub.

This is my weekday breakfast. Yogurt and granola with half a banana and a cup of coffee. Tetsu won't join me since he says granola looks like horse feed. Hmmph. Doesn't know a good thing when he sees it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.