Saturday, July 22, 2023

Pre-operation

I thought I'd report in and let you know that I am now in the hospital and getting ready for surgery tomorrow morning.
This last week I have been staying close to home as I sure didn't want to catch a cold or anything worse at the last minute which would postpone my surgery.  I didn't do any swimming or go to church and only met up with a couple of friends in the last couple of days.  Still, every headache (it was so hot!) and cough made me anxious if I was really going to get admitted.  I had been so smug about not  being particularly worried about this surgery until then.
I got in some whimsical sketching this last week, trying to incorporate some fun characters into every day objects...  I've been taking another Skillshare class, this time with Terry Runyan.
My patchwork friend and cat mentor, Mrs. N, gave me a beautiful gold ring that she had sized for me and I sent her a thank you card with a whimsical cat.
Everybody wants to monopolize the fan!  (We have air-conditioning too but the fan circulates the cool air for us.)
Here is the real thing.
At the start of the week, Takumi contacted me and offered to buy me a Garmin Activity watch which he and Julieta seem to love and he felt that it would be really great for me to keep track of exercise reps and watch my heartbeat and sleep patterns and walking goals (once I get to walking again!)  I took him up on the generous offer and a few days later my Garmin Watch arrived!  Since then I've been pouring over Youtube videos learning how to use it and Takumi spent a long video chat with me getting a few things set up that he thought would be helpful.  Talk about taking my mind off upcoming events!

Besides that, I packed a small carry-on bag and my sketching and journaling supplies, Kindle, and tatting.  I still have been optimistic that I'm going to be up for activities... At least these past two days I've used them...  After tomorrow we will see what kind of shape I'm going to be in!
This was what I looked like before saying good-bye to Tetsu at my hospital room.
And this is the view from my hospital bed.  Gyaa!  Nothing green at all!!!  You can tell this is a major hospital though.
But across the hall in the community day room, we can see the helicopter pad and incoming Doctor Helis.  It is actually rather busy.
My cat sitter made me a kitty mascot to keep me company in my hospital room and he will be watching over me for the next few weeks.
Yesterday was Tetsu's 70th birthday, and I missed it again (I've so often been in the States during the summer that I've almost always missed it.)   I seem to only have a recent photo of him working in the yard (as usual).
But here is a smiley one of him Leiya took while Luka was here.

I guess that's about it.  Hopefully I'll be posting again in a few days.

23 comments:

  1. Wishing you a speedy recovery and that you are back to your regular routine asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your surgery - here they kick you out of the hospital within a couple days and you have to have PT from home and then when able drive to a PT center for your PT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty Mc So. Calif.July 22, 2023 at 9:32 PM

    You will do extremely well...I'm sure of it! After surgery, two therapists had me up and walking and climbing 4 stairs! Of course they monitor BP and made sure I was doing well. Went home that day. Within 3 days I no longer took Oxycodine only Tylenol 500mg 3 times a day. Therapist came on day 4 and just explained the exercises for me to follow. They were very basic. This week a therapist had me walk around outside (on cement) for about 10 minutes. I thought this is so easy but afterwards I really needed to ice my hip and was super tired that night. Next day I was sore but continued to walk 10 min.. Hummmm, not so tired but the ice feels great. Walked again today. No pain!! A friend that had hip replacement last year said by week 2 she was feeling better and improved greatly each day. I'm at day 11 and the same is true for me. You are not over weight and are use to walking so you will heal quickly too. Be encouraged. It does hurt that 1st week (nothing like child birth though) and each day you will feel better. By week 2 you'll be ready to toss that walker....don't. The best purchase I made for this surgery is a hip ice pack. It wraps around the body over the hip. The ice cools inflammation and helps with swelling. God will hold you in His hands during the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending lots of love and all best wishes for successful surgery and a great recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying your surgery goes well and you heal quickly 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for a successful and uneventful hospital visit! I especially like the dog in front of the fan painting! It captures the pleasure so well.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers for successful surgery and a quick recovery! From looking at that photo, I would say you have lost weight. Such thoughtful gifts from family and friends. Your view from your room leaves much to be desired but I guess it is comforting to know you are in a renowned facility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May this surgery and recovery thereafter be the open gate for a helthy and comfortable future for you. You're in my prayers.

    Love your sketches too!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been in my thoughts lately. And you will remain in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you and hoping all goes well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up on a few posts..... Your friend try at quilting is amazing......
    Absolutely love all you art work....... So many glimpses into your life........ And such detail in the pictures.......
    Goodluck for your up coming surgery....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thrilled for you that your operation is finally going forward. Best wishes for a smooth recovery. Thank you for your blog and your illustrations. I love them and look forward to seeing more when you are ready. Love from Lindsay in California

    ReplyDelete
  14. the surgery has happened and hopefully the pain meds are doing their job and you are resting...... look forward to pictures you have drawn or taken - you still have a camera, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fair winds and following seas as you navigate through this journey from successful surgery to quick recovery and back to all you love to do! John looks like he'll do just fine in your absence as long as he has the fan! Glad Takumi and Julieta got you all fixed up to document your recovery. Please wish Tetsu a happy belated birthday for me. Renata XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your surgery should have been completed by now and I pray that you are doing well and that you will be 100% soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of and praying for you and Tetsu.

    Helen, from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late here, but have been wishing you well for the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending hugs and prayers for your speedy recovery. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prayers for successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Love and hugs from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best of luck with the operation. Hope it all went okay.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you the best of luck with the operation, hope it all went ok.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.