Yesterday we met up with the Yamadas at our favorite Indian restaurant for lunch and got caught up. They were in New York for a month and so we've missed lunches and playing Canasta with them. After lunch we went back to the Yamadas house for coffee and banana bread and we did get in a round or two of Canasta! Basically Japanese are not much for board games or cards but thinking that Marlene, like me, may have enjoyed playing games with her family when she was a child, I approached the Yamadas about some game time. We now make it a regular habit to play cards or Ticket to Ride (a great boardgame). Tetsu goes along with it and enjoys it but I think Kohei-san is the biggest fan of all of us when in comes to playing games. (And he won again yesterday.)
No our husbands are not having a confrontation! Tetsu and Kohei were both involved with Judo in their high school and college days, and Kohei still works out with a community group. Many years ago when all our children were little, Tetsu and Kohei led a similar community Judo club for young people and they both still talk Judo-talk which I don't much understand. Kohei was explaining to us about a Judo throw that he'd done and the two of them decided that a demonstration was called for (but no, the throw did not end up with Tetsu across the room. They stopped just before that.)
Marlene especially wanted to show me a quilt that her aunt had made for her and that she brought back from New York. It is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! We spread it out on Marlene's bed and I admired it and explained the finer points of appreciating all the work that went into it.
Marlene is not a quilter (though she does appreciate the quilts I've made for her in the past) and so I pointed out differences in the pieced blocks and the way the hand quilting was placed.
Each block had a feather wreath quilted over it which wasn't very obvious from the colorful side.
But from the back, the extent of the hand stitching was obvious.The label was so pretty too! What do you think? Probably it was a cut out from an embroidered pillowcase or something. What a great idea!Marlene said her aunt is in her eighties and during Covid she decided to make a quilt for each of her family members. The quilt is magnificent and Marlene and Kohei have a real heirloom now on their bed! It was an inspiration for me to see this too and I'm wondering how many quilts I'll be making when I'm in my eighties!
But right now I'm just putzing away with a bit of sewing now and then but nothing spectacular.
I've made sketching a daily habit though and some things are pretty good and some things best left in closed journal pages. Joining Skillshare was one of the best decisions I've made recently and I love going from artist's class to artist's class trying and learning different things. My most recent Skillshare teacher is James Richards.
First I learned how to sketch people quickly.
Next was a class on cars.


Tanya, if you enjoy Ticket To Ride, you'd probably also like Settlers of Catan (the basic game). You need at least three players.
ReplyDeleteMarlene's quilt is gorgeous! How wonderful to have such a beautiful piece. I'm always so impressed with your artwork. More than impressed, I'm in awe. I have a hard time just sketching my crochet projects so that I can add measurements to follow when designing something new. :) Thank you for your wonderful posts!
ReplyDeleteMarlene's quit is an heirloom! The stitching is amazing! I love all the drawing you are doing. Prayers that you are doing okay physically.
ReplyDeleteYou are learning so much from your sketching classes. What a good student you are, I am sure the teachers would love to see your work.
ReplyDeleteThe Yamadas are really lucky to have such a beautiful heirloom on their bed. All the love of that aunt. I hope, too, to be able to stitch at the age of 80.
Keep cool in the heat, dear Tanya.
Queenie
Yikes, the husbands' judo demo looks pretty frightening! I'm glad to hear it is all in the spirit of cooperation rather than confrontation.
ReplyDeleteCeci
My goodness, I'm glad the living room wasn't wrecked!
ReplyDeleteI think your courses are giving you the skills to put together your scenes as you wish.
These are wonderful drawings. I have watched some Youtube videos, but I really should do more drawing and painting along with the artists.
ReplyDelete