Friday, July 14, 2023

Preparations

It is getting so hot here in Japan but when I read the news it seems that almost everywhere in the Northern Hemisphere is experience soaring temperatures.  For some reason I find the heat (and in our case, humidity) of summer scarier than the cold of winter, and I'm concerned about how the cats and John are going to cope with it.  And Tetsu!  Especially because I will be in the hospital for two weeks starting next week, I keep nagging Tetsu to be careful, to come in from his garden work even when I'm not there to badger him, etc.  Every summer for years I would go to the States for a month and let Tetsu and the animals handle life on their own, but those were the days when Tetsu was still working in an air conditioned office and the animals were a lot younger...  Summer woes!
Last week I finally met with the orthopedist who will perform hip surgery on me this month.  It was a full day of testing...  Blood test, urine test and electrocardiograph in one part of the hospital.  X-rays and CT scan in another part of the hospital.  Getting blood taken for possible use during surgery and then talking to the doctor about surgery details (gulp!) and then doing the paperwork for hospital admission.  For all that work and all the people involved this day, we paid only about $100 because of health insurance which covers 70% of the cost.
Everything in the hospital was very personalized and though all the technicians seemed very young, I guess that is the way it is going to appear to me from here on in.  The university hospital is technologically advanced with special sealed operating rooms.  (I haven't seen it yet but that's what I've been told).  I have opted for a shared room so there is no cost for hospitalization though a single room only ran about $100 a day.  I vaccilated about whether I should rent a storage/refrigerator/TV bedside table for about $3 a day because I didn't use it at all when I was in the hospital for a week last year but maybe TV will be a distraction this time around.  As for surgery itself, according to the city hall where we filled in paperwork for additional medical care (because I'm over 65?) out of pocket for hip replacement will be about $500.

There are a lot of pluses to socialized medicine, though granted I had to wait 5 months for one of the operating rooms and my doctor to be available.  
I'm beginning to pack a bag for my stay... new pajamas.  Books to read.  My sketchpad and pens and paints.  This week I am staying close to home (and in the air-conditioning) to avoid any chance of contracting Covid.  (One of my pool friends came down with it last week!!)  I've got enough reading glasses thanks to Tetsu!
  

12 comments:

  1. I hope surgery and recovery go very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying that this surgery goes well. Love your new glasses.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This retired surgery nurse says to take your pain meds regularly for the first 4 days and after that, you probably won't need the strong meds. If a pain med makes you nauseated, ask for a differnt kind and ALWAYS take you pain meds with food in your tummy.
    Wishiing you well!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it all goes well for you. It is interesting to learn about your excellent medical/hospital care there. We have had recent experiences here and are very happy with the care, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for updating us on your "vacation" plans.....at least it will be cool in the hospital, right? I too have a husband who stays out working too hard in the heat and it is a big worry, which of course doesn't help at all. Best wishes for an uneventful surgery and hospital stay.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  6. My godmother's experience with hip replacement surgery is that the recovery physiotherapy makes a huge difference if you do exactly as you're told. Her brother didn't and his recovery was slower than hers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had my hip replacement July 11th. Two years ago I was told I needed it but thought if I got strong enough and thin enough I'd be fine...wrong. Weight loss and strengthening of muscles seems to greatly help recovery but the pain was always there and getting worse. I am amazed how efficient and skilled this surgery has become!! I had surgery at 8:30 am and was home by early evening. Yes, the pain meds made me sick. When home, I had a 2inch piece of banana before taking 'strong pain med'. That settled my stomach. On the 4th day I was able to use Tylenol every 6 hours for pain. I prepared a months worth of meals ahead because my hubby doesn't cook. He has had 2 strokes this year and not doing well but I'm managing quite well. It makes me try harder to get back to my normal routine. Go easy on yourself. We are our own worst critics. Don't bend beyond 90 degrees, don't cross your legs, and do all the exercises they give you. They may hurt but within days the pain subsides. I've been told in 2 weeks I'll want to go without the walker but don't and no driving for 6 to 8 weeks. We have a son close by and he will catch up on all the driving/shopping on the weekend. Tetsu can wait on you but stress to him he needs to stay out of the heat and be hydrated to help. I'm so glad I live during a time with this great technology. You will recover fast and be back to chasing Tetsu around those monuments! God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m thinking positive thoughts for your surgery and recovery. Won’t it be great to be able to be more active!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a new hip last May, sure glad I did !! Was back to gardening, on my hands and knees, this May. Slow and steady, but keep moving :) Just a suggestion about keeping a pair of glasses in the car during the hot summer, don't !!! Be well, hugs. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for a successful surgery, pain control, positive thoughts, Tetsu staying healthy and taking care of all the animals and himself, and remember that God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy said it all....... God is in control..... you relax and let your body heal. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.