Thursday, July 27, 2023

Hospital life

Good morning from my hospital room!  I am on day 5 since my surgery and maybe you can tell, I'm in fine spirits.  Today's post is only hospital talk so it may get a bit tedious.
(The community day room where patients can watch the Doctor Heli take off and land)

Surgery was scheduled for Monday morning at 8:30 AM and Tetsu arrived at the hospital at around 7:45 though I wasn't allowed out of the room to see him.  The nurse had hooked me up to an IV and she helped me change into a surgical gown and then together we passed Tetsu in the hallway giving him a wave and I walked a couple of floors down to the operating room.  Once on a table the anesthesiologist did a lumbar procedure (I think it must be called an epidural) and also put something in my IV to make me drowsy though I could still hear what was going on around me.  I had been fearful of having to be awake throughout the sawing and grinding etc, but whatever anesthesia I was given, the noise (and I remember hearing it) didn't much bother me.  The surgery was an hour and a half but it sure seemed shorter to me.  I was placed back on my bed and was wheeled back past Tetsu in the hallway and I was with it enough to give him a thumbs up and another wave.
(The very boring view from my hospital bed)

The doctor must have come in to tell me all was fine and to inform Tetsu because from then on I was in my room with nurses coming to check on me.  As the local anesthesia wore off the pain was starting to become very uncomfortable but when I mentioned it to the nurse something more was put in my IV and since then I haven't felt any major pain.  Amazing!

For the first two days I was hooked up to a urine bag, and a wound drainage bag and IV and then later a blood transfusion which was just my own blood they were returning to me that the hospital had stocked a couple of weeks before.  I was sitting up in bed the next morning and feeling perky enough to ask for someone to hand me my iPhone and Kindle so I was no longer bored with looking at the ceiling as I'd been the night before.
(My walker the first day)
Tuesday the drainage and urine bags were removed and the physical therapist arrived wheeling a walker and after some soft muscle massages he had me up and walking down the hall hanging on for dear life to the walker!  Hey!  I can do this and it's not too bad! 
(And my pink cane)

The next day, Wednesday I was finally disconnected from the IV and the therapist had me walking a lap around the hospital ward with a cane and the walker could be retired!  
(Practicing a lap with no cane!)

And then yesterday, Thursday,  we walked another lap around the ward without the cane! I'm basically free again!  My homework for this weekend is to walk as much as possible around the hospital ward using the cane still, and today I think the therapist is going to start giving advice about how to tackle stairs.  Isn't that amazing!  In four days I'm walking almost normally again!  Supposedly before surgery the bad leg had been about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the other (what with the wearing away of the cartilage) but now they are of equal lengths and I don't see-saw any more when I walk!  I'm really happy about that (vanity).
(We've only had bread once for breakfast.  Usually it is white rice)
(Lunch was a tofu hamburger.  I decorated my hamburger myself)

I am in a room with three other ladies (well, one lady went home yesterday) and we are discouraged from talking with each other and instead have our curtains tightly surrounding our beds.  Even so, I do exchange a few words with one lady who is 86, and the other roommate is 100 and quite chipper!
(At least once a day we are served fish)

Our meals are simple but tasty.  Every time one is served I think that Tetsu would never survive on this amount of food (maybe for men there are bigger portions).  1400 calories a day with very little sugar or salt...  And no choice of menu like a remember in the States (when I was in high school I was a Candy Striper during summer vacations).
(My reward to myself in the afternoon after walking laps!)

Anyway, everything is going smoothly and I am so happy with the progress I'm making.  I'm back to tatting and painting but most of the time I'm just relaxing.  The hospital is so comfortable and cool while Tetsu and the animals and the rest of Japan swelters in the horrible heat.  I feel rather guilty but I'm enjoying the time while I can!

18 comments:

  1. why are you discouraged from talking to your roommates? I don't understand that. It sounds like you are having a very rapid recovery which is so nice for you! It is interesting seeing your food servings - it doesn't look like much - maybe I could loose my extra 10 pounds switching to meals like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are doing so well, so quickly.
    I can't compare Japanese medical care to American but your system certainly sounds well organized and efficiently run. That has to be such a comfort to both you and Tetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear that your surgery went so well and you are moving well towards recovery. I enjoyed your illustrations, as usual. Thankyou. Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant thank you for your post. I was wondering how you were progressing. I have had both hips and a knee, it is amazing what they can do. Irene in N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad all went well, and you are making amazing progress. Enjoy the cool, no need to feel guilty, and with an epidural and sedative, that's a grand way to have surgery. Recover well, and do not be in too much of a hurry to go home, extra care is what recovery is all about.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your speedy recovery is fantastic news! Keep walking! Gambatte!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! The view from "the other side" is fabulous, isn't it! I love your illustrations. Now you are moving from strength to strength. Congratulations, and thank you so much for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy all went well! My husband had a similar experience with his hip replacement and few months ago. Glad to hear you are back drawing and tatting - good signs!
    Hope you are able to head home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to read that you're doing so well so quickly after surgery and that you were in pleasant lalal land during those first couple of post-op days.
    I, soo wonder why you and your neighbors cannot vosit with one another?

    Happy healing and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also a bit puzzled that talking to roommates is discouraged, but so glad to know it's going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! Your results are fantastic! Isn't it amazing how great this surgery works?! I don't have any pain.....finally after 2 years!! I'm 17 days out from hip replacement, using no meds, but loving my ice, and using the cane. The therapist is encouraging me to go out and shop in stores and walk as much as possible. I've noticed I'm quite tired after therapy but that subsides the next day. I know I could drive but have been warned to wait 8 weeks. The reason being, if an accident happened and it wasn't my fault, I'd be blamed since I didn't wait the 8 weeks. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to hear all is going well. You handle your life with such grace and positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you continue to improve , best wishes from the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder why they don't want you to talk to your roommates? That sounds strange. Yes, in the US, you get to order what you want for each meal. If you don't like it, then if you have family or friends, they can either bring you something or get something from the hospital cafeteria (usually good food).

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy it all went so well! Keep up the positive attitude and following PT instructions, before you know it, you'll be home! Renata

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did it!! So glad to hear how well you are doing. Maybe they don't want roommates to talk in case one is a whiner and would drive everyone crazy. I like to be in a room alone when I'm in the hospital as I one time had a screamer in my room until I told them they had to move her. I've had a knee replacement and I forget that I've had one and my friends say the same about their hip replacement. Think of all the fun things you're going to be able to do without pain!! You are doing amazing so keep up the good work and enjoy the air conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that your surgery was successful (and uneventful) and you are recovering so quickly. I follow you on Instagram (crazycatzgal) and was glad to read about your progress. I think you are remarkable! Hope this next week gets you to the point of being released and able to go home.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.