We knew that Mi-chan was holding on to life tentatively throughout the month and a half that Leiya was here. Every morning and evening I was giving Mi-chan thyroid medication (and a treat afterwards) but she continued to get thinner and thinner. I was concerned that she would pass while Luka was here and how he'd understand that. I didn't want our precious days with family darkened by grief and many tears.
Mi-chan came to us 14 years ago and Tetsu decided she was ours after she'd been sitting on our porch and looking in the windows for a day or two. I had hoped that after she'd been spayed (I took her to the vet the next day) that a neighbor who had been feeding her, would adopt her. We already had four or five cats at the time... But when Mi-chan was tested and diagnosed with Feline AIDS, the neighbor didn't want to put her children through pet loss within a couple of months or years and so Mi-chan became ours. I can remember sobbing that this sweet kitty had no place to go and wondering how we were going to incorporate her into our already complicated pet family. Though the vet suggested keeping her separate from the other cats because of the Feline AIDS diagnosis, we decided that all our animals had come to us with one problem or another and whatever we did we would probably give them a happier and longer life, so Mi-chan joined the throng and she got along with all the other animals.
The afternoon of Mi-chan's spay operation, the vet called me and said that in the middle of surgery he had discovered that Mi-chan was hermaphrodite! I wrote a post about that discovery and the different names we tossed back and forth before naming her. (And we decided she was a "she".)
Mi-chan loved people in general and was the friendliest kitty of all of ours and she'd happily trill at visitors and make herself at home on their laps. I've had a couple of people say that they didn't much like cats until they met Mi-chan. She made a sweet impression on everyone and got so much love from so many people... neighbors, students, friends, all the other cats (well maybe I can't include Chip) and even John. While Luka was here, he and Mi bonded tightly.
Luka with Cleo, Mi and Toi.
Luka helped me give Mi-chan her medicine.He talked to her and of her a lot.
And Mi-chan always wanted to be in the midst of things.Her favorite spot to nap."Who's in my spot?"Snuggling with Tony.
I'm so sorry! Mi-chan was such a beautiful cat with a kind and loving soul. I still can recall where you showed a picture of her sitting on your troubled student's lap and she was gazing at him with such adoration. She was so sweet and you gave her a good, long and healthy life.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear of your sadness, but you made such a difference to her life!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. Mi-chan, and you, had a happy 14 years together.
ReplyDeleteQueenie
Tanya, I am so sorry that Mi-chan has passed away. We don’t expect our beloved pets to live forever, but when they do leave us it leaves a void in our hearts. Yes, it sounds like she had a marvelous life and at the end she had more family to love and be loved by.
ReplyDeleteMy heartfelt sympathy to you and Tetsu.
Sincerely, Helen from Ohio
I'm so sorry to hear this, yet during her lifetime she was so loved by all who met her, especially a little boy.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that your kitty passed on - animals bring such joy while they are with us and sometimes leave too soon. Thank you for sharing the pictures with your family, too.
ReplyDeleteCeci
So sorry for this unwelcome sadness in the loss of Mi-Chan. She will live o in photos, family pi stories,, in your heart , and perhaps in one of your sketches.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
So sorry to read that Mi-chan passed on. It was her time and what a loving environment she had, thanks to you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry your sweet kitty passed. She was so loving to Luka and that's unusual. Cats don't seem to like all the fast movements and loudness of children. Those are great pictures of Luka and the kitties. Gosh, he sure is a cutie! Someone told me all our animals will be waiting to greet us in heaven. Not sure about that but our God can do anything.....and it's a lovely thought.
ReplyDeleteLuka and Mi-chan, what a wonderful time for them both, and such a fitting last week or so for her with your family. She was so loved, and even when the end is expected, the loss is never easy. Let her love and memories fill your heart Tanya.
ReplyDeleteAwww, I'm so very sorry for your loss. You gave her such a good life and she gave you all her love. So very sweet and sad at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that lovely and loving Mi-chan has passed but what a lesson in not assuming that having a chronic illness is a reason to avoid adopting a pet. So many years of mutual pleasure with your family. I read the 2009 post and can understand your consternation at receiving the call from the vet. Pragmatic Tetsu hit the nail on the head but I guess the vet really enjoyed being able to tell his colleagues about his surprising discovery.
ReplyDeleteHi Tanya I remember your first post about Mi and concerns about her health. What a blessing to have her in your home for so many years and especially, to the memories of her time with Luka. It was lovely to read about Leya, Luka and Tony's time with you and Tetsu. Thank you for sharing. Gayle in NZ
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear of Mi's passing. I am glad that she found you 14 years ago and got to live life with a wonderful caring family. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Mi's last month was filled with so much love and attention. I'm sorry she's gone.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about Mi-Chan and from the photos you can see she had a new best friend. She gave Luka the gift of loving cats and that is a precious thing.
ReplyDeleteYou gave Mi-Chan the best life possible all these years, bless you for keeping her all those years ago. Such a joy to see Mi-Chan enjoying little Luka while he was visiting, he is probably still talking about her now! It's so hard when our fur-kids have to go.... Hugs!
ReplyDeleteSorry about the loss of Mi. Our pets enter our hearts so well.
ReplyDelete