Tuesday, June 13, 2023

And the end of a wonderful month and a half

In the final couple of days with Leiya and family, Leiya spent most of her day trying to pack things into three suitcases and a backpack.  Packing, rearranging, packing again.  She didn't buy much in clothes or souvenirs but she did seem to have an awful lot of snacky things to take back to friends and Tony's collegues.  In the end she passed on some jeans and a shirt to me that she wasn't interested in keeping so I lucked out too.
We did remember Takumi's birthday on the 3rd and sent him a family photo.

Let's see...  Some random photos that Leiya either sent me later or I have forgotten that I wanted to include in previous posts...  

Playing with Tetsu from the end of a long slide.
I loved the yellow orbs!
Leiya actually saw quite a few of her elementary school and middle school friends and many, many neighbors stopped by or we went and visited with some of my English classes with people who have known her since she was little.  Speaking of little, we even stopped in at her kindergarten and got to see Leiya's kindergarten teacher and the kindergarten principal.  They've known Leiya since before she was born!  Leiya's already asked if she can put Luka into a couple of weeks of kindergarten there if she gets back to Japan in the next two years... 
Marlene kindly invited us to her house on the last day of Leiya's family's stay as I can't get my act together to host dinner with friends at my house.  Our good friends the Sugas also came as I had wanted these two couples close to us to have a chance to meet Tony.
Marlene actually had toys for Luka to play with at her house which she's kept in hopes that there will be grandchildren visiting HER house someday.  For now Kohei's keeping friend's children and grandchildren entertained with his children's toys.
With the Yamadas...
And the Sugas...
And with Tetsu and me.

And finally the day for Leiya's family to return to the States arrived.
We saw them off at the train station.  A few tears...
Some very nice strangers who took notice of our teary good-bye, offered to take photos of us all.
And off they go with a last look from Leiya...

We had a wonderful month and a half with Leiya and Luka and then Tony.  I hope they'll find a way to come back again before not too long...
 

11 comments:

  1. I read your blog but have never commented until today. I have so much enjoyed your photos of your visit from Leiya, Luka and Tony. Thank you for sharing. Goodbye is always hard, I teared up when I saw the final photos. Put your feet up and enjoy a lazy rest, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed all the posts about Leiya and her family’s visit. I adore your little Luka! I even teared up seeing Leiya’s in the goodbye pictures. I’m so happy for you and your time spent together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely visit. I shed a few tears too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful visit and I had tears in my eyes when you were saying goodbye. Very very hard to see our children and grandchildren leave and go far away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good-byes tug at the heartstrings but make the hellos all the sweeter! These days there are Zoom and facetime for trans-oceanic visits so they'ere not gone forever in a wagontrain.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely family pictures and a fantastic month and a half. Always sad to say goodbye to our children. I feel melancholy for the week after our children leave. They live on the east coast and we're in Ca.. Not as far as you are but still a distance. I'm sure Tony and Leiya will return with Luka in a couple years. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for sharing all that you do. From another teary eyed reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This visit of Luka and his parents has been such a wonderful gift. All the pictures you have taken and drawn will be like candy to enjoy for a long time.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've had such a wonderful time with them - an epic adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cried, too, seeing Leiya's tears. I'm so glad you could have this time with them. What wonderful memories. Thank you for letting us share in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I am preparing my visit to states, I really enjoyed all the family pictures, and think of my coming family visit from tomorrow. Hope I can get a few as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.