Monday, February 27, 2023

A spontaneous picnic

Tetsu and I had a surprise outing today after we headed over to Marlene's to pick up some obentos.

Marlene's husband, Kohei, started a service group in his neighborhood that offered a once a month lunch and program for the residents.  A group of neighbors agreed to help out and over the past few years the program has grown despite the pandemic.  In the beginning, the lunches were served eat-in style and there would be a short program or talk of interest, but once the pandemic hit, the eat-in lunches were replaced by obento (lunch boxes).  The cost is minimal and the city sponsors the rest of the costs and all the shopping, cooking, and promotion is done by Kohei's group of about 12 volunteers.  What started out as 40 lunches, grew to 60, and this month there were 115 orders for obento!  
Marlene and Mrs. Waki... remember, she is the friend that "helped" me make a dress to wear to Takumi's wedding.  Which I've NEVER worn yet!!!

It is just Tetsu and my good fortune that Marlene asks us each month if we want obentos even though we don't live in the neighborhood...  We have been long time friends with quite a few people in the volunteer group and so they lovingly include us in the neighborhood family.
The day was for a change, warm and beautiful and so Tetsu and I decided to enjoy our obento outside somewhere and as we were near a shrine at the top of a hill/mountain overlooking the town, we drove up the road and parked near some benches.
The city of Utsunomiya and suburbs.
Oh the wonderful aroma that hit us when we opened the car doors!  Along the side of the mountain was a whole grove of Japanese Wintersweet, also known as Japanese Allspice (Roubai) and there were clouds of yellow all around the benches!  It was heavenly!
Today's obento included simmered miso mackeral, a slice of sweet omelette, seaweed and cucumber vinegar salad, sweet red beans, simmered seaweed and vegetables, rice and a sour plum.  Coffee and Japanese milk gelatin was also included!  
It was absolutely delicious!!!
After lunch Tetsu and I wandered around the small grove of trees trying to take photos.  
As we hadn't planned for this trip, neither of us had our "real" cameras with us but we did our best with our cell phones. 
Right near the allspice grove was the entrance to the shrine with a large torii gate and then flags leading up the mountain stairway.  I have climbed up to the shrine itself in past years but this time I had to be satisfied with just peering up the gay stairway.  
Hopefully someday I'll be able to handle those stairs going up the mountain again. 
As Tetsu points out, I am rather a homebody, never really wanting to go out and do things, but once there, (wherever "there" is that he's taken me to) I always have a great time and today's spontaneous outing was a real day, (week, month) brightener!   

It was a great day with delicious food and beautiful sights!
 

6 comments:

  1. We really need such days!
    The trees are fantastic, with both their fragrance and looks.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful outing! We all need a break from the indoors sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that sounds delightful! *starts planning spontaneous picnic*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I "qualify" for this kind of lunch delivered once a week. I am grateful for the well-balanced, healthy food. However, I do envy you your bento which is totally different from typical American style meals. The miso flavored saba and beans and the ume. Oishii/ono!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya, I’m so glad you enjoyed the obento as well as a spontaneous picnic! See you soon!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great day! I have told myself that I will go on more of these types of trips this year, and explore the city more, but like you, I am a homebody and need someone to drag me out first.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.