Saturday, March 4, 2023

Family updates and painting

I'm a bit behind here as I'd planned to blog once more in February, but better late than never... 

Actually Leiya didn't send us as many photos of Luka in February and instead we saw a lot of videos and spoke with him in person.  I don't know what March will bring, BUT I'm warning you!  April and May are going to have a lot of Luka photos because....  Leiya and Luka are coming to Japan from the middle of April!!!  Tony will be joining them in May so we are going to have a lot of family outings and together time!  We are very excited but realize how much we are going to have to adjust our living situation to fit in a 2 year old.  Where will everyone sleep?  Where will we get a car seat?  Etc. etc.  It all sounds like great fun!

So here are a couple of Luka photos I got in February.
I do't know why he was wearing his hat in the house (or is that even Luka's hat?)  He is looking more and more like Tony these days.
And Leiya said Luka-kun joined in a library storytime though he was one of the youngest...  

As for Takumi and Julieta, Julieta sent us some videos of snow falling in the town where she works!  That was a great surprise but the mountains near their home were just beautiful after the snowfall!
There are mostly sunny days in their city though.  My beautiful daughter-in-law!
Date nights out and about.
I have been enjoying Skillshare immensely and go from one teacher to another hopefully learning a new skill or technique to use in painting.  I joined another class with Barbara Luel (I'd done a class with her on the rooms of my house) and tried neighborhood scenery.  The lumber factory seen from my sewing room window.
While taking a lettering class with Amy Stewart, I needed a painting to add lettering to and so I tried this from a photo Takumi sent me when they were visiting Idyllwild this month.
I picked up a friend from the nearby train station and enjoyed a day of chatting and good food.  Later I sketched the station from a photo I'd taken while waiting for her to arrive.  And then the added lettering.
And from last week's picnic with obentos, I tried depicting the shrine nearby.  This was my thought out painting...
...and this was my loose style scribble painting.  I really haven't found a style of my own yet...
And finally, Chip sleeping on the window sill...

11 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm sure Luka will love Japan!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you are excited about your up coming visit with Leiya and family! Love to see your pictures.
    The news media has asked people not to visit the our local mountains. So many roads are closed in the Big Bear area and roads leading into Idyllwild. It's the first time in 47 years we've heard that announcement. We got a little hail last week and a lot of cold temps. Cold for us is 26* at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried painting on fabric and then wirth your stitching add to it during quilting. Images of grandson would be so lovely for you and family to look back on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh how grown up Luka looks. Children really establish the passing of time. It is hard to capture cats on paper and you have done it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting that your son and family will be joining you in Japan. It will be a grand adventure for them as well as for you. I love looking at your paintings. The lettering adds so much. [It wouldn't let me sign in]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how wonderful to have your family visit you! Luka is growing so fast! My goodness, he's getting big! Your artwork is amazing. You are talented in so many different disciplines. Hugs from Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tanya!
    It's been a long while since I last read your blog (mainly because my focus has shifted to Instagram and I no longer use my blog). I liked reading what you've been up to the last couple of years - color me surprised you're a grandma now ;-).
    Love that you're still busy with quilting and wow ... you really have some serious skills in the drawing department! This motivated me to buy a small metal box with aquarel colors last weekend ... although I'm not sure where to start! ;-) Guess there's plenty of things to find on YouTube :-).
    Enough rambling. Have a nice week!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are developing your own style; there's certainly something I recognise when I see one of your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tanya! April and May are going to be such fun for you all! Introducing Luka to Japan. What a learning experience for a young man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have thrilled for you to have family come visit - even if one of them is two years old!!! Start making your lists of what to move, what to eat and where to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited that the kids are coming to see you!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.