Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Home again

Yeah!  I am back at home and in my own bed and starting a normal routine again.  I've gone shopping for groceries, I've eaten ramen for dinner, I've even gotten to the pool!  I'm planning to go back to the crosswalk on Friday and then be back regularly from next week.
When I entered the hospital this street in front was still green.  A week later and the ginko trees are turning gold.

So what was all the fuss in the hospital?  Well, I was there to determine if I had diabetes (which does run in my family) but I don't.  So now I've started agressive medications for the rheumatism and that will be checked twice a month until medications can be pulled to their minimum.

The week in bed did my knees and hips wonders and I have been feeling pretty good since I got home.  And of course maybe the medications are already kicking in so I don't feel quite as robotic and slow as I have been the last few months.  The rheumatism has been affecting my hands and wrists though so I found it difficult to knit, of all things, though I am able to tat with no pain.  That's interesting.  I'll see how hand sewing goes sometime this week.  I would think that machine quilting wouldn't be affected...
I got four crosses tatted while in my hospital bed.
Tetsu and the animals survived without me and John and Tetsu hit it off pretty well.  The cats all stayed close to Tetsu, meaning they slept with him while usually they sleep with me.  Our oldest cat hasn't been doing very well this past month and I was afraid I wouldn't see her again but she is still with us.  Tetsu's a good caretaker!  

I've sort of gone back to a clean diet of no dairy and snacking and keeping to smaller food portions.  If nothing else maybe a little less weight on my knees will be good and I have heard dairy products are bad for systemic inflammation...  But that's my layperson's treatment with no professional backing on it.
My first meal back from the hospital.  We went directly to Marlene's and her neighborhood was having their monthly "Cafe Day" where they make obento for the community.  Marlene had set aside two obentos for us and Tetsu and I brought them back to our garden and ate our lunch in the good outdoor air!
That's a big lunch for me after all those hospital meals!  Rice with seaweed, miso potatos, pork cutlet, simmered vegetables and fish cakes, vinegared salad and quiche!  SOOOO  DELICIOUS!!!  The cafe is an event that got started by Marlene and her neighbors and now once a month they make between 60 and 80 obentos.  Amazing!  No professional chefs among them but a lot of home cooked meals experience.
*******************************************
The last week of October Leiya did send me some more photos of Luka so here is an unscheduled Luka update.
Leiya said they got to go on hay rides.  Doesn't Luka look grown up in this photo?
Tony's hospital had a Halloween event for staff family and neighbor children.  It was called Trunk or Treat and Luka just loved it!
Luka dressed up as a cowboy.  I think Leiya even made him a stuffed horsey for his basket.
Preserved in my sketch book...  
But the real thing is cuter!

17 comments:

  1. Luka, a hearth throb already!!! Tanya, so good you are home, no diabetes, and hoping the aches and pains will soon all go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pleaswd to hear you are home and feeling improved............... Irene from N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear you are home and seeming to do better! Hoping the meds do their job so you can get back to life. Luka is SO adorable! We have a lot of trunk or treats around here too. Seems to be the thing to do now rather than going door to door on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news all around. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just now reading your last few posts. (traveling where there was no internet!)

    Thank you for writing about your experiences. Sometimes it helps others to know that other people are having trials and tribulations. So glad that your diabetes tests were negative. The hospital food didn't look terribly appetizing. Ha.

    Prayers and best thoughts for a solution for your pain. All of your readers are thinking of you this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. being from Texas I love the cowboy and the news that things are better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to read that the hospital visit helped you in more than one way. One diagnoses removed and one diagnosis treated. Hope you will feel much better and will be able to move around without pain. Take care, Ida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy you're home - praying the meds will work like they should and you'll keep feeling better and better! Luka is so adorable, and you've captured him perfectly in your sketchbook, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see that you are doing better !! Hope everything continues to be on the road to recovery with all your questions being answered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that you didn't have to spend any more time in the hospital. That obento looked like more food than you were given for an entire day while in the hospital. Luka is growing so fast. He does look like a little adult. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Isn't it nice to sleep in your own bed again? Glad to hear you're on the mend and that your family weathered your absence. Good news all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home. Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home, happy for all the positive outcomes, at hospital and how Tetsu with the kitties and John fared during your hospital stay. Oh, the obento looks so good! Renata

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear you are home and starting to mend. Luka is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to know you are safe home and don't have diabetes! That's one less thing to worry about..

    ReplyDelete
  16. With my busy work schedule I have been way behind in the blogging world, and didn't know of your hospitalization until Carin told me. Glad to hear you are getting good treatment and hope there will be good results. Friday we had a fun gathering at the quilt show at Pacifico. It was well done and fun to meet up with Carin and Pamela and Ueno-san. I have to admit I was very tired after so many hours on my feet. At school I do get to sit from time to time, except on the train coming home. Luka is so darn CUTE! I love your art and those tatted crosses. Sending hugs and prayers for a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are feeling better. Luka is so adorable! You have a good man in Tetsu as he takes good care of all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.