Thursday, November 10, 2022

Patora

We had a hard though not unexpected last few weeks ending with one of our older kitties, Patora, passing away yesterday morning.  
(Pato in the foreground, Cleo in the back)

Patora was 18 years old and she and Cleo are brother and sister.  The two of them and another sibling were brought home by Tetsu and me from one of our morning walks when the three kittens came running to us from a box where they'd been left.  The other sibling got adopted out a few weeks later but Cleo and Patora remained in our family all these years.

Patora was never a lovey-dovey kitty though that may have been the humans fault.  For some reason she and Cleo decided they didn't much like each other but she could stand to be friendly with Toi who has his own issues of bullying the other kitties.  Patora and Toi ended up keeping each other company for the last 10 years and they move from the outdoors cat house in the spring and summer months to the upstairs bedroom in the fall and winter.  Neither cat had too much contact with humans... no sitting on laps or snuggling, but they've always been supplied with heated mats and expensive veterinary prescribed catfood.  Still, I feel guilty that Patora didn't get all the loving she might have had.
For the past month, Patora has been off her food but Tetsu and I decided not to force her to eat nor take her in to the vet for energy shots or whatever.  She didn't seem to be in pain and when the days were warm and sunny she would go out on the veranda and sun herself.  When I ended up in the hospital, I didn't really expect to see Patora again but she lasted that week and then this past week has been just sleeping and occasionally mewing.  I spent more time petting her than I have in years...
Tetsu arranged an area in the corner of his garden, near his chrysanthemums, and yesterday around noon we buried Patora there...   All our cats are over 13 years old and so we are heading into a more somber time of their lives...  Everyone, including humans are on some kind of medication...
Now that Patora is gone, we don't know how to incorporate Toi into our family again...  He is still a bully but it seems cruel to leave him to a completely lonely life and so we've opened up the doors and hope the remaining four cats will work out places for each of themselves so that they don't have major blowups...  
My sweet kitty.
 

18 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, hope the others will find a truce in their behavior. Love Tetsu's mum, wonderful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. She has gone to her reward and you prepared a beautiful resting spot for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathy in the loss a dear, but aloof, Patora. I hope the other cats will welcome her forlorn friend and he'll be comfortable being part of their group.
    Hugs to you and Tetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patora would have known you cared, we cannot fathom out their reasons for being maybe a little aloof. She waited till you were home, and the flowers are so welcoming for her final resting place.A final week with you there so much. Hugs.XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing a pet is so hard. Bless you for providing such a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's so hard when we lose a family member. I love your spot in your garden for your little sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. If only our pets had a longer life span. I hope it's a comfort to you to know you gave Patora the best life she was willing to accept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawing of Patora is sweet. I too, pray that the other cats incorporate Toi into the new routine. And hugs to you as you find what that new routine will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patora had a good life because of you and will always be in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear one of your family members is no longer with you, but it sounds as if Pakora waited for you to return home from hospital.
    Pet loss can be very traumatic, the flowers at her resting place will bring her to your thoughts every day.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pastora had a good life with you and Tetsu. Perhaps not the life you wish she would have had, but her personality had a lot to do with that. God bless you and Tetsu, you saved them from what could have been a very difficult life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending much sympathy. I am sure Patora was content. Cats are very good at wandering off if they don't like where they are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a pet. I am sure she knew you loved her since you took such good care of her through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry, Tanya. Big hugs....it's so hard to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the loss of your pet but I am glad it happened while you were home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry, Tanya, hard to lose one of your kitties, no matter how old. Glad you were there for her at the end. Renata

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is belated but I am so sorry that you lost Patora. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.