Friday, November 18, 2022

Handwork and such

The days are getting colder and colder and Tetsu has to bring our potted plants indoors at night.  I am wearing layers and layers of clothing every morning when I go to the crosswalk.  How quickly winter comes!
John doesn't like the cold and he doesn't like walking but I made him go out for a short jaunt early this morning...  He is going to get a trim later this week but we'll keep his fur a bit longer than usual during the winter.
I have done a bit of knitting and am happy to report that the rheumatism medications are allowing me hand movement with no pain.  Yeah!   I was so anti medication my whole life but now I am very grateful for what all these pills can do for me.  Still my doctor is hoping to wean me off of quite this many over time...  This year Tetsu says he doesn't need anything knitted from me as he only wears sweatshirts and t-shirts in the garden while he works so I have pulled out some old yarn and I will see if I can make something for myself.
I also have been sewing Christmas stockings!  I got one made for Luka and sent it back with Erin and then I decided to make two more, for some friends' grandson and a new baby brother.  
It took me forever to figure out how to put the white trim on and each of these stockings were made a different way.  Well, they will only be hauled out at Christmas so maybe they won't get so much wear and tear.
Yesterday M-san came over with her latest quilt.  Back in May I had bought M-san a jelly roll of batiks as a gift from America and so we've spent the last few months deciding on a pattern and then she has been working on the piecing at my house.  
When she got to the quilting, M-san decided that she wanted to do it all by hand and she has spent a month or so diligently quilting away on her free-hand drawn feathers.  She did an absolutley fantastic job and her handwork is exquisite.  M-san likes the meditative process of hand quilting and so she says she found the whole project very calming.  On to her next project!

11 comments:

  1. Your Christmas stockings look great, nice job. M-san is doing a wonderful job of quilting. You have really inspired a young lady to become a talented quilter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. M-san, beautiful, those fabrics glow and your hand stitching is wonderful. Tanya, sometimes medication is the answer, hope it all works, and in time can be reduced.I'm sure you will find patterns for your wool, what about mittens or fingerless gloves?They are so good inside in the cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe John needs a fleece jacket to protect him from the cold when walking?
    M-san's quilting is excellent, such talent and dedication is a joy to see. You are obviously an excellent teacher.
    Am glad to hear your medication is working and you are feeling better.
    Happy Thanksgiving from the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you are doing better with less pain.
    Those are very cute Christmas stockings and I'm sure they will be cherished for years. M-san is quite the little quilter. You must be very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas stockings are great...both.
    I like...
    and the quilt is wonderful. Hand quilted, I'm very impressed... wonderful. Good work.
    Greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What delightful Christmas stockings you made! Those will thrill parents and children for years to come.
    M-san's quilt is just wonderful and those batiks really sing, don't they?
    It's getting cold here, too, and I am with you in layering on the cozy clothes.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness the medications are helping! I think we quilters are nuts because if we had to we'd crawl to our sewing rooms to quilt and sew, wouldn't we?
    M-san has been bitten by the quilting bug. What beautiful work she does. I can imagine how fine her quilts will be in 5--10 years is she's doing such amazing work as a newbie quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the stockings you made Tanya, so wonderful and personal. I'm so glad your medications are doing a good job for you! M-san's quilt is as cheerful as her smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your medicines are making your feel better! M-san's quilt is beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Tetsu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know the medicines are keeping you pain-free, more or less. That makes a huge difference to life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those Christmas stockings, I still have the ones made by my mother. Somehow, the season went from the sauna heat to cold, missing all my fall clothing. John may need most of that fur.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.