Yesterday school got suddenly canceled... which wasn't a surprise. Covid numbers have been increasing and last week 3rd graders and 6th graders had no school because someone in those classes had Covid. After a three day weekend, I went to the crosswalk yesterday morning but the groups that came to school were very small. I wasn't home an hour before the school called to say that more children in their classes were absent with Covid and so the principal declared that school was canceled and we would all be entering summer vacation three days early. Well, I had found it hard to walk to the school in the heat anyway and already resorted to driving the short distance... We will see how things fare at the end of August when school starts again.
So my mornings now will allow us a sleep-in though the cats and John don't recognize summer vacation. We need to start our morning walk before the heat anyway so it is for the best.
My schedule will go as... take a 20 minute walk at the cemetery. Come home to granola and yogurt. Do some iPhone things like study Spanish, Bible devotional, correct some English sentences from my few students, do a quick Instagram post. Supposedly I'm ready then to do some household chores though these days not much gets done... And then I retire to the sewing room while Tetsu heads to the garden. Both of us have to beat the heat while we can. The garden gets too sunny and hot and the sewing room has no air-conditioning so by afternoon I am out of there!
Today I prematurely put on some binding to my latest quilt, thinking that this evening I'll hand sew it down in the air-conditioned living room, and then I worked on the machine quilting.
I've gone for mostly Stitch-in-the-Ditch around the applique shapes though I did add some definition to the few flowers in the quilt. From there it has been to figure out how to quilt the rest of this... I decided against stippling.
In the outer border with triangles I went back to a motif that I'm comfortable with.
Then there was the question of whether the thinner borders needed anything or not... I could leave it as is...The interesting difference between hand quilting and machine quilting is that with hand quilting you pretty much have to mark your quilt before you begin and it is hard to add marking with all the fluffiness when the quilt is in the hoop (I guess that's true only if you use a pencil and not a marking pen and stencil). With machine quilting, I can add more quilting whenever I get the feeling that one section has less quilting than other sections... Thus I find it hard to decide when my quilting is really done... I added some spirals in the narrow border and then went for it in the second border too.
I had planned to leave the corners alone but they looked lonesome and so I added petals or leaves or something....I will sew up the binding tonight and then think about whether this needs more quilting or not...
*******************
Appropo of nothing... Does anyone use Bloglovin' to view blogs? I'm about ready to give up on it because it rarely lets me log in and even when it does it often tells me the website is down. I begin thinking that they've shut down the website completely but then I'll suddenly be able to use it again... Still, it seems very unreliable and I wondered if there are any other alternatives.. I'm finding it difficult to go blog visiting...
I use Feedly to follow blogs. It is free but, for more functionality, has a paid subscription. I use the free part only and am happy with it….there are some adds but they don’t interfere.
ReplyDeletea lot of people have trouble with bloglovin and said they can't get to see the blogs they want. Feedly reader is good and I have no problems with it - it is free
ReplyDeleteLovely quilting.. ....I use Feedly to follow my blogs...... Been using it for years...... You can get a free account...... Some say there is a choice for a paid account also but you don't need that.......
ReplyDeleteI have used Feedly for several years, and like it very much. You can follow up to 100 blogs with the free version. I pay for Feedly Pro because I want to keep them in business. And because I follow more than 100 blogs! There are iPhone and iPad apps, as well as a browser version. Dot, who can’t seem to use my gmail to post
ReplyDeleteI use Feedly to read blogs, so I'm afraid I can't help with Bloglovin'
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely restorative and productive break.
When I started following blogs, I put Blogs on my favorites, then add all the blogs I follow there. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhen Google Reader went away I downloaded Bloglovin and Feedly. Right from the beginning Feedly was more user friendly so I’ve stayed with Feedly.
ReplyDeleteTried to comment with my Google ID but it wouldn’t let me sign in.
Sarah in California
You do such lovely machine quilting Tanya! I must make myself practice more, I have a few quilts that are just flimsies and I really want them done! Ah Bloglovin'!! It was great at first but, as you say, it has become very unpredictable as to when it will work in the last several months. I saved a list of my most followed blogs, yours included, and copied their URLS to an email and sent it to myself. I need to go load them onto 'Feedly' as that is what everyone else seems to use. I live on the southern coast of NC and it is very hot and humid here too, no going outside after the sun is high in the sky, I don't know how people who work outside can take it. Happy quilting ~ KittyAnn
ReplyDeleteI am having trouble with bloglovin as well. I have been using feedly when Bloglovin isn't working, which is most of the time! Your machine quilting is beautiful. I have yet to master that skill.
ReplyDeleteYour machine quilting is really making the quilt shine! I take my hat off to you for quilting in a hot room in the middle of the day.
ReplyDeleteStay cool and enjoy your summer vacation. I'll be working full time all summer, sigh!
Queenie
Beautiful quilting. I use blogspot.com, sorry can't help you. Though sometimes I can comment and a lot of the time I can't.
ReplyDeleteThe quilting looks great! It's funny how I put off machine quilting and then once I finally start it goes pretty easily. It's hot and quite humid here in New England as well. Hard to get motivated in this weather!
ReplyDeleteOff topic, to be sure. I have been reading about Japan's most recent earthquakes. I hope all is well, and I think it must be...these were on the smaller side of the Richter Scale, I think.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I was recollecting on your blog post years ago, when you & your American friend were caught underground during the BIG one: 2011? I am not sure. Anyway, I think that post is in your old Blog, or buried somewhere in this one. I think you should re-publish it again, here, for all to read, or re-read. It was so scary and fascinating to me at that time!
Kind regards, as always.
I use Vienna for reading blogs on my Mac.
ReplyDelete