Thursday, July 28, 2022

Songbird's Garden Quilt Finished!

I have a new quilt completed and it went pretty quickly!  Sometime at the beginning of the year Leiya mentioned that she'd seen a quilt that she liked and I immediately ordered the kit and had it sent to her house knowing that I would see her in April.  When we got to Indiana in April she had misplaced the package and it wasn't until the last day there that she discovered it in her closet and gave it to me to take back to Japan.  So I started cutting and sewing this quilt from May after we came back from our three week stay in the States.

The quilt is called Songbird's Garden and it is a Windham's Fabric collection kit.
Although I had some cutting issues with triangle sizes, I was able to get the quilt into one piece (with a bit of editing) and I chose not to try to do an overall quilting stitch nor get involved with stippling.  I think stippling would have been nice but it is a fairly large quilt and I wasn't sure how well I could manuever it, nor if I had enough Sulky thread on the spool I had bought years ago.  I stayed with stitch-in-the-ditch with a very few accents on the flowers.
The medallion corners got a feathered heart that isn't too exciting nor too visible.
I left some of the narrower borders unquilted just because they seemed to have enough pattern in them, but I put some narrow quilting in one triangle border.
On a couple matching narrow borders I added some curlieques but they don't really show up very well...
By the time I got to the outer border I was getting tired so I just whipped around the center squares and quilted petals in the corners.  This is my go-to quilting pattern.
I love the backing that I found for this quilt...  It was something very cheap in a local drygoods store!  Great find!  I added a label yesterday and though this quilt is destined for Leiya, I don't feel the postal system is reliable yet so for a month or two this will be up on my wall as I try to figure out how to get it to Indiana!
The quilt on my wall, reflected in the mirror.
And a full front view.  

13 comments:

  1. BRAVO! It's a true gem!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. great image ith the mirror. Irene in N Ireland

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a beautiful quilt. And I think the style and amount of quilting is just right. I wish my stitching was as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a striking, beautiful quilt! I love the color combinations and your quilting brings it all to life. Thank you for sharing your talents with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful quilt!!! As usual, you did a great job. It looks wonderful on your wall. I can see why you daughter selected that kit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and I love the colour pallet, my favourite combination of blues and beige browns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you get to enjoy it for a while before you get it to Indiana (another visit, perhaps?) for Leiya to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I missed a lot! This quilt is gorgeous! That bright white in the border really adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.