Sunday, July 24, 2022

Hot days and cool mornings

As is much of the northern hemisphere, Japan is in the midst of sweltering heat.  Our activities are confined to morning and the afternoon hours are spent in front of the TV napping, organizing computer files or in my case sewing down binding.
Though having Mi on my quilt while I sew isn't helping, it is better than having her warm body on my lap as well as this quilt.
In this season, my hair looks much like Little Orphan Annie!
This week M-san finished quilting and putting the binding on her quilt!  Doesn't she do a beautiful job of hand quilting?!
This is M-san's largest quilt to date and she is so amazed and proud of herself that she could do it.  The pieced blocks are from my 2 1/2 inch squares bin and she bought the dark blue fabric to accent it.  M-san's favorite part of making a quilt is the hand quilting and she is a very fast quilter!  I think we started this quilt together in March but actually she had to put it aside for the month that I was in America.  She says she plans to hang this in her living room so that all her family can admire it.  She did a fantastic job!!!
July 22 was Tetsu's birthday and as it was the day that M-san usually comes over, we celebrated together with cake and presents like a new swim suit and socks.  Tetsu was so embarrassed.  He did not want to be sung to!  This year our blueberry bush is bursting with blueberries and I can no longer fit them all in the freezer!  We should have trimmed the bush to a more managable height because now Tetsu has to use a ladder to pick blueberries!
And today is Leiya's birthday though it was actually yesterday for us in Japan.  Happy Birthday Leiya!  July is a busy month for our family...  We have Julieta's coming up this week too!
And how about a couple of photos to make you feel cool...  Tetsu woke up for a bathroom trip and suddenly he was saying, "I've got to get a picture of this!  Wake up!"  The scenery outside our bedroom window was misty and the sky was turning pink from the sunrise behind us.  
In a few minutes the sky was lighter but the hills and forests were still covered in mist.  Cool?  Yes, it was!  Of course it was still 4:45 in the morning!

11 comments:

  1. I envy you your blueberry crop. If I lived closer I would come and 'take them off your hands'!
    Your hair is as frizzy as mine, we are the Brillo girls!
    M-san's quilt is beautiful and a great achievement for a new quilter. her hand quilting in white on navy blue looks like sashiko stitching.
    Congratulations to all who is or will be celebrating birthdays.
    Please keep cool, get up early to see the beauty of nature and stay away from the risk of infection.
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a cute Orphan Annie !!I wish I had curls. You have done a great job teaching M-san, her quilting skills have grown quite a bit. You may have to take the ladder from Tetsu, that is getting kind of scary. The skyline pictures are very beautiful. Have a great August !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to Tetsu and Leiya...my July and August calendar is also full of summer births.
    M-San's quilting is superb, I still find it hard to believe she hasn't been quilting for years.
    Fantastic view out your bedroom window. Love those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The early morning sky colours are so beautiful and so fleeting, blink and the vare gone.well done to capture that view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. M-San's quilting is beautiful! She is very talented so it is wonderful that you are able to take her under your wing. The hot weather continues here as well but we hope to get a break soon. I miss the cool mornings! The scenery is so beautiful - looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luka have a big boy hair cut - I bet because it is HOT where he is too..... cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday to Tetsu. His birthday is the same day as my brother's. And
    M-san's quilt is beautiful. She is really talented and you're a great teacher. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in a beautiful part of Japan for sure. What beauty right outside your windows! Sweltering heat here in North Carolina too - reminds me of Tokyo summers. M-san's quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hot, humid and buggy here in NC. M-san's quilting is just exquisite! She is so very talented and you are a wonderful teacher. Those blueberries would probably be delicious in smoothies but, of course, I would use them for baking muffins and cobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, a month full of birthdays - and a lovely quilt to admire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved everything in this blog post!
    1. That first photo of you is Just beautifully terrific.
    2. M-San's quilting is really nice!
    3. I love Tetsu's berry picking, AND his pre-dawn eye for beauty. Good photo, Tetsu.
    4. I am happy for Leiya's birthday, but OMIGOODNESS! Luka steals the photo.
    Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.