I've decided it is big enough as is. I laid it out on our two single beds and it takes up the full width... I didn't think it needed a border and already began to wonder how and when I was ever going to get this basted!!!
Actually I think this will lay on a bed with the strips running lengthwise so this may be a better idea of how it will look on a bed...
Basting... basting... I don't have a room with any blank floor space. I probably can't get to use Mrs. Furui's tatami room. Our patchwork group isn't getting together in order to have a basting party. Argh! This is probably going to end up in a closet again for months!!!
Unless...
Yesterday my young friend M-san was coming so that we could baste her smallish star quilt. Her flimsy was small enough to lay on my sewing room's floor and between the two of us we got it basted quickly.
"Would you help me board baste my big quilt? It is a big job but it would really save me a lot of time..."
M-san is always enthusiastic and so we spent the next hour and a half board basting on my dining room table. Hard on the backs but with two of us the time went quickly (for me) and it was an enjoyable process working together rather than me trudging though the basting alone.
This is actually how we were basting... We try to keep our masks on even in the house.
Okay... Whip off that mask for a quick picture.
...or two.My least favorite part of doing patchwork, the basting, is DONE!!!
Thanks to M-san, my quilt is on the road to getting quilted. I've already settled down in my armchair and am hand-quilting! I'm looking forward to cold, cozy, shelter-down, quiet holiday nights of quilting.
It is so nice to have an enthusiastic quilting buddy to help me out!
There's nothing like help with basting! It's the best kind of quilting help. So glad you got that done in the company of a friend, and can be all set for quilting it during these winter nights. Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteI think this is going to be a beautiful quilt with all the colors. I took some plastic pipe and had it cut (6-7 inches) put these onto the legs of the table and raised it to a height that that I don't have to lean down to work on a quilt. You just have to make sure that you measure the width of the legs and then the height to make it comfortable to you.
ReplyDeleteThis is striking! Very nice. I could use some help basting, too!
ReplyDeleteThat is going to be a pretty, and cheerful quilt!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful quilt Tanya. A lovely way to spend your quilting during isolation. Best wishes to you and Tetsu for a very peaceful Christmas. May 2021 be easier and time for family celebrations.
ReplyDeletethat is a fabulous quilt, I love the randomness of the colours in the squares, it will be so enjoyable quilting as it will contain the memories of so much of your work. Enjoy the process of quilting, a cosy job for winter months. irene in N Ireland
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt you have made out of your scraps! I am sure you will enjoy quilting it during the cold winter.
ReplyDeleteI agree, basting is the hardest job, and boring to boot. I have never had help with basting my quilts, but struggled alone on the floor. I really should try your method of board basting.
It frightens me that you removed your masks. Please take more care.
ReplyDeleteI do all of my basting on my dining room table. My son helps me lay it all out and I stitch down the center of the quilt. Then we carefully move it over so that I can baste one side, then when that is done, we move it so that I can baste the remaining side. We check to make sure it is all flat each time we move it. It still helps to have 2 people. It is hard on the back, but I can't get up and down off a floor. I do the same thing when I spray baste quilts.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt! I have used our church for basting. Maybe your church have some space you could use for the next time basting something large....
ReplyDeleteHurray for a friend to help you baste. That's where I get bogged down. I have tops hanging for years in the closet waiting to be basted. Your scrappy quilt is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely quilt!
ReplyDeleteCynthia said it all! If any help is needed, basting with even one extra pair of hands is better than none. When we made group quilts, we shoved a lot of tables together, and that was better than crawling around on the basement floor at church, and I can't believe how quickly the task was done. My last one I just pin-basted and it went together fairly well. The backing might have been straighter had I help. That is a nice scrappy look.
ReplyDelete