Friday, December 4, 2020

Changes since Covid

For being very busy this past week I can't say that there is much interesting that has been going on...

I went to the pre-school on Monday.  The principal and I are talking about when I am going to retire from teaching there.  I suggested retiring in April but it looks like I may stay on another year.  I felt very bad when I disrupted the pre-school's schedule when I had to cancel with a slipped disc in October I've also not seen the children so much this year because Covid19 resulted in almost of 4 months of no English...  I really don't want to come down with something and suddenly have to call it quits but realistically as I get older, health issues hit me harder than before (but I still consider myself VERY healthy!)  Anyway, that topic is still up for discussion.

I also saw a patchwork friend on Monday who was in town just for a few days and "needed" a lot of patchwork projects to keep her busy during the winter months.  She is living in the countryside Northern Japan now to get away from Corona that is creeping into the cities and she doesn't plan to be back near me til April.  I sent her away with a basted quilt for hand quilting and lots of fabric and a pattern so that she can do hand piecing while she is housebound.
On Tuesday I had two English classes with my friends.  Again, everyone is getting older and for those heading into their eighties Covid is really scary and family members are worried about any gatherings going on.  Also my older friends are less confident about driving these days so we are considering moving one class closer into the city where it is possible to take a bus or a train and then carpool.  In the meantime we all wear face masks and one friend always wears a face shield over her mask.
On Wednesday I went to the church for the first time in 6 months!  There are 6 services offered during the week in hopes that people won't congregate too densely, but Tetsu and I have opted for attending online these past months. I went on Wednesday and attended that service and then met with a Bible study group that also has had to resort to online sharing.  We met for about 15 minutes to decide how to continue being "together" while staying "apart".  For some of us, technology is a challenge, for others the written language is the challenge (ME!)  Covid has changed the way we worship and fellowship.

I also went to the dentist on Wednesday but I couldn't detect any changes in procedure from before...  The reception desk has plastic screens up now but that was the only difference I could see.

Thursday I finally spent some time at home and Tetsu and I decorated for Christmas.  The house looks pretty festive now!  Though I used to do a lot of decorating when the kids were little and when I had children coming for English in the evenings, the past couple of years I've slacked off and maybe put up two or three quilts.  And I've got so many!!!  Why do I keep making Christmas quilts?!!!  With Tetsu's help he was willing to put up anything and everything (even things I'd planned to throw out) and so Christmas has arrived at the Watanabe house.  Except for a Christmas tree.  It has never been any use to try to put up a tree (only artificial table top trees in Japan) because the cats knock the ornaments off or pull the whole thing down.  

And yesterday I suddenly participated in a "Walk-a-long" with the group that had been doing water aerobics at the pool.  That group disbanded in March because of Covid but I noticed a poster on the pool locker wall (I've gone back to the pool since November) saying there was going to be a walking day this week with the former aerobics teacher.  It was very nice to do stretch exercises and walk the hills and chat with acquaintances I haven't seen in months.  Of course we all wore our masks...  

On our walk I noticed a big circus tent that is off in the fields and learned that a European circus troupe had been slotted to hold a mini-circus in town back in February.  Well, they never were able to put on the circus because of Covid and now the whole troupe is stuck here in the field as they can't get back to their country.  I forget about all the displaced people who are trying to cope in a foreign country because they can't return to their own...

After the walk I helped out at an English class for an elderly group but the community center is concerned about the rising numbers of Covid cases in the city and it looks like there won't be another class for a couple of months...

I also talked with both Takumi and Leiya.

Leiya has less than three weeks until her due date and she is very happy but also stressing out about all the stuff they have bought and received that is piling up in all the rooms of their house.  "Who knew a baby needs so much stuff!!!"  She has virtual meetings with her mid-wife and they are all counting down the days...  Tony is very tired from the intensity of the hospital and I don't think he is going to be able to be spending too much time caring for a new baby in the coming months...

Takumi is good and working from home but Julieta has started a job now and I guess suits up daily in mask, face shield, gloves etc.  I'm not so sure this was a good time to step back into Los Angeles society for work but she has been 6 months without a job and so was grateful for this opportunity.  For the first time ever, Takumi admitted feeling the threat of living in Los Angeles County during this pandemic.  He says that there are now people he knows who have contracted the virus and who are hospitalized...  

You can imagine how much my prayers have increased for these four children of mine...



Oh dear.... One final piece of news is that I was on Japanese television on Monday.  Remember that television crew that ambushed me at the crosswalk and then came home with me?  Well, the program was aired (but no one ever contacted me!).  It was a short 3 minute cut of me doing my crosswalk job and I looked very professional!  Actually because I wore my mask the whole time at the crosswalk my face was never fully shown nor was my name given, so probably very few people recognized me unless they knew for certain that that is where I work every morning...   

It looks like if you persevere with pushing the video buttons and get through the first blur of the video, that you can see the whole three minutes...  of course all in Japanese!

 Isn't this a funny picture of the Nikko crosswalk guards?  We had a meeting but because of Covid it had to be held outside...  Tetsu says we look like a strange religious cult!  I'm amongst the standing...  Can you find me?

 

15 comments:

  1. A bit hard with everyone in a mask, but I had a guess.USA, and Covid, scary wherever you live over there, I hope they all stay safe and well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tanya it seems the situation in America is very bad, I hope all your children will be safe. At least they are young and healthy! We are lucky in Australia to have escaped so lightly, due to our local government enforcing strict lockdown measures. At least mask wearing is usual in Japan, I hope you and Tetsu stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas quilts are gorgeous!
    I think that tent looks like the Pop Circus. I saw their show when they were in Shizuoka about two years ago.
    What a strange year this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love all your Christmas quilts! They look so beautiful hanging in your home. I have a Christmas tree that was made from a twister pattern. I hung it up last year in my hallway - and it has been there all year! LOL, easy decorating this year!
    Covid is getting scary here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting ictures of your beautiful Christmas quilts. The situation on Covid here in the states is to put it mildly depressing. The numbers are mind bopggling, but there are so many who truly believe it is no worse than the flu, that is until they get ut or one of their family members do not survive. Please stay safe. Can't wait to see baby pictures. I pray for the safety of Tony and all your family.

    Karen in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas quilts. It is something I should think of for next year. I pray for safety for you and your family during this trying time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Christmas quilts! So joyful. What is the name of the second quilt/photo?


    Your lives and ours parallel each others' (which makes your blog so popular, I assume!), and there is comfort in hearing your news and worries and prayers.

    Keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good show of seasonal quilts in your house, bad show of TVTokyo not to inform you they would air the scene from your cross walk duty, those school children are so lucky to have an English speaking traffic guard. I think you are the second one from the left sitting in the front row.
    I think the world has had enough of Corona virus and Covid19. May next year be much better than 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omgoodness...so fun to watch the video. You look youthful and trim and so professional in your uniform. I have a question...Why do the kids all hold one hand up as they cross the street?
    Sending season's greetings from Gail in Washington State

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house is beautifully decorated for the holiday. I hope it keeps you in a festive mood even though there are coronavirus worries. I do hope you and your family keep safe from the virus. That video is great! So nice that you are featured . It looked like with your wedding and family photos that they did a nice feature. So strange that they didn't include your name though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it's too bad that you didn't have advance notice about your TV spot. So does this mean they aren't going to use footage from your home/lunch/John etc.? Or maybe they will in the future? Your Christmas quilts are great looking! I've only made *one* but I have a goal to make each of my children a Christmas quilt at some point. We haven't been to church since March (!) mainly because of the long/crowded train commute, but tune in to zoom church which is offered twice a month. And our congregation is moving to a space much closer to us, early in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spotted you Tanya, ladies wear a different hat. Your home is looking wonderful for Christmas. My thoughts are with you and your family in the USA, all that can be said is, stay safe, take care and look after yourselves. We hear daily on the news what is happening with the virus in America, frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love all the seasonal quilted hangings. I wish I had even a tiny fraction of that wall space. I made hanging advent calendars for each of my kids but can't find any room here to hang my own. This pandemic has changed our lives so much, it is hard to keep up with all the changes and the loss of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of your quilts that you've hung up for Christmas!! I loved seeing the video even if I didn't understand what was said. I thought it was great that they included family photos! Here in Indiana Covid is running high. My cousin died over the week-end. It may not be as bad in Evansville as it is here. I'm sure you're excited about the new baby!! Prayers for a safe and uneventful delivery and that mom and baby are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved seeing you in the video!! Thank you for sharing. Your house is looking very merry and bright.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.