Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Miscellaneous picture day again

I seem to have a lot of miscellaneous photos so I guess today is a miscellaneous day.
I took this last week when John and I were out on a late afternoon walk.  I love seeing fog and mist over the countryside, maybe because in dry California I didn't see much of it as a child.
And this was taken a short while later when we were heading home.  The sun was setting over what I think is a buckwheat field.
Speaking of John, he jumped up into my lap one morning which was a first.  I was taking a video of him and suddenly he was up in my lap.  On the video I've got very discombobulated images as I nearly dropped my phone and also my very surprised voice saying to Tetsu, "What'd I do?! What'd I do?!"  John sat with me for about five minutes.  He's never done it again so I don't know what he was thinking.
Last weekend we had "clean the neighborhood" day which happens maybe four times a year.  Here is Tetsu whacking weeds at one corner...
 ...while a couple ladies work at gathering up the already cut weeds.
The talk of the closest neighbors was about that huge wasp's nest that is hanging from the eaves of one of the houses on our street.  I don't know what they are going to do about that but it keeps getting bigger and bigger....  I'm sure there are exterminators that can be called to deal with the problem (maybe after the weather cools a bit more) but in the meantime I don't walk down this street much these days.  I remember a few years ago the Homeowner's Association chairman got the job of getting rid a wasp nest in the forest...  And this year Tetsu is the Homeowner's Association chairman!  I sure hope wasp busting isn't on the list of chairman duties...
Oh my, now we're really getting into miscellaneous photos!  John and I take our evening walk everyday at the cemetery across the street from us.  Most families have stone graves (all ancestors' ashes are interred together) in one family plot but there is a small section of this cemetery that is marked off for communal internment and I see a space is being prepared!  One does NOT walk on this grassy area!  Heaven forbid (literally) that a person walk over someone's grave, but anyway, this little square has been allotted for an individual urn and later the sod will be replaced.  It is the least expensive way for ashes to be kept and there is a small plaque nearby that can have names added to a grid corresponding to this grassy area.
 More mist... this is from early morning when I went out alone.
In Japanese these are called Kibana, "yellow flowers".  That seems pretty accurate.  I love how they all face the rising sun!
 And this is the end of the spider lilies.  They are beginning to droop and turn brown at the edges.
 A close-up of a spider lily still in its prime.
 Mist and weeds.
 The glow of the morning sun lit up the mist over the soybean field giving it a pink tinge.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy your pictures. As for John, this is a first big step for him. I believe he was just as they say "testing the waters". I am sure this is the first of many lap sittings to come.

    Karen in New Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yellow flowers make me think of Jerusalem Artichoke( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke ); they are edible roots that are ready to eat when the flowers falls down (end of September - around here - south of Quebec province/Canada). People usually have them if they put the peels of the roots in their compost. It takes a lot of place in the garden.

    It is nice to see John going on your lap.

    Carole from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! Yeah! for John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intrigued by your photo and comments about the cemetery. Is it customary for people to visit their graves and leave flowers or stuff? If so, how do you get to your grave if you can't walk over the grass to get there?

    (I have so many memories of accompanying my grandmother to the cemetery for grave maintenance.... I don't do it myself because our people are buried so far away but it seems like such an important ritual to so many)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these posts. I so enjoy seeing and hearing what happens in Japan, especially if it is something unique to the country. And John - PROGRESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John on your lap requires a comment - maybe maybe maybe/....., one day John will ....... so glad you got a picture!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to se John in your arms!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  8. John jumping onto your lap... what joy! Looks to me he did it because he felt safe in your arms. So glad you got a photo, Tetsu-san! Renata

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photography. Another step forward with John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Progress for John!! I was so happy to read about that. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also meant to comment on that wasp nest. Wowza! That thing is huge. We had a problem a couple summers ago with wasps stripping our wood fence for material to build their nest in the tree next door. We could actually hear them ripping the wood with their jaws. They are destructive. We solved the issue by staining our fence. No more wasp visitors. I hope Tetsu doesn't have to be the one to take care of that nest!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.