Even so, the chestnut trees in front of our house got a major shaking and the road was blanketed in leaves and chestnut balls.
The sky had a few remaining clouds over the mountains.
The fence between our road and the yuba (a type of tofu) factory had sections that blew down (in the distance there also) and Tetsu and a neighbor took the waving slats down and alerted the factory owner that he'd need to do some repairs.
Typhoons bring deep colors and fresh air.
In the distance there was a rainbow starting over the forest.
Along our walk we came upon a fire truck and firemen consulting about what to do about a flooded road.
John and I aren't going to be able to wade through that!
This nice "lake" isn't really supposed to be there. It is part of the forest and there isn't even a river or stream nearby. I guess the water just didn't have anywhere to drain to and it formed a lovely marsh... It will take a day or two for it to go away.
This was the only tree in our neighborhood that I found blown over. It was reported that there were a few trees down in the woods but this was the only one I saw along the road.
Heading back home... The farmer didn't get his whole rice field harvested before the typhoon struck. Normally rice fields are only flooded at planting season not when it is ready to be harvested so maybe the farmer lost the rest of his ripe crop...
Actually I took these last two photos when we took Julieta and Takumi to the station in the next city on Monday. It had been reported that the river near the station had overflowed and yes the streets were muddy and people were dragging furniture and damaged goods from their homes and businesses.
We were really surprised how much of the city became submerged in the short hours that the typhoon struck.
Okay... Tomorrow more Takumi and Julieta photos. They DID manage to have a good time in Nikko despite the weather.
I really appreciate your photos of the aftermath. First person reporting!
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are scary. I am glad you were spared.
ReplyDelete