Once a year towards the end of December, I choose One Word for prayer, making it my focus to meditate upon when reading the Bible. I guess I've done this for four years and in the past I have chosen the words, WALK, REACH and CHOOSE. (I don't really remember what year was what word but I can go back and check on my Thoughts pages...) And each year I've made up a Wonky Word block to just keep on my design wall to remind me of my focus... ANYWAY, this year my word has been CONTINUE as in continue to hold fast to faith, continue to pray for people, continue to think good thoughts, continue to try new things or whatever... In order to CONTINUE my custom having a Wonky Word on the design wall you would think I would have gotten in gear to sew the word block but alas, I realized it is already October and I haven't sewn a Wonky Word yet! It's not that I hadn't thought about doing it but CONTINUE is such a long word. Why hadn't I chosen a short word like JOY or BE or something?
This weekend I put aside all thoughts of starting something new (there are more things on my To-do list) and got to work on CONTINUE. I'm not real happy with the wonkiness. One of the Ns is off balance somehow... But that is the attraction of Wonky, what turns out turns out. I chose not to go back and make another N.
Four years of words, FINALLY four Wonky Words on my design wall. I'm just in time to start thinking about NEXT year's One Word.
I like your whole idea of choosing a word for the year and making it in a wonky block for remembrance too. Ana USA
ReplyDeleteOh, how I ADORE this idea! I believe I just chose my own word!!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful tradition each year.
ReplyDeleteI choose a focus word for the year and I never thought of making something to add to a hanging. Well. I guess it is never too late.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing it and giving the inspiration to follow. I don't quilt but I weave small tapestries so it could be a project for the new year.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
I love your wonky 'continue'! I choose one word each year too but I paint them on wood blocks and just place the current word on my kitchen window sill. I wish I had thought to do as you have done. Some day you will have a beautiful quilt to remember all your words and I'll have a heavy basket of blocks. Well, the grandchildren will enjoy playing with them I guess. 😄
ReplyDeleteIt is a good idea to select a word. Not only to find reference to it in the Bible, but to find use for it in daily life.
ReplyDeleteI have made a private prayer, not with words but with a list of expressions that are important to me: Extend A Helping Hand, Don't Expect Anything In Return, Forgive, Treasure Meeting New People and Learn To Appreciate That They Are Different From You...
Queenie