Before our lunch (nothing fancy) Marlene suggested we make a stop at a riverside park that is famous for its cosmos flowers. On previous years I've shown pictures of the fields of cosmos on this blog but last week? Almost no flowers! What a surprise! Either the flowers are past the prime season for blooming or they were ruined by the typhoon and recent rain (most likely) or they were wiped out by river flooding. That typhoon of two weeks ago caused so much damage to homes and fields and businesses near the many rivers that criss-cross the city!
Interestingly, we found one field of white cosmos still standing... Are they sturdier than pink cosmos? Do they bloom later? We checked out the nearby riverside which looked like the waterline had come up quite a ways on the bank but we couldn't tell if it had reached the cosmos fields.
The day was beautiful for flower viewing!
There were a couple of other ladies wandering the fields and even clipping flowers as one of them had the info that the fields were going to be mown down the next day. Might as well take home a few blossoms while they are still thriving! I offered to take the other ladies' picture on their Smartphone and they did the same for us!
"You speak very good Japanese."
"I guess we should... both of us are married to Japanese husbands and both of us have lived in Japan over 40 years!"
Marlene and I have known each other for over 25 years now and though we come from different sides of America we have a friendship based on common experiences, faith and family.
It was a great day out and we even brought home a few cosmos flowers...
I am glad you were able to find at least one field of flowers. Beautiful, and great that you were able to bring them home to remember the day out with your friend.
ReplyDeleteThis is a treat to see them growing,I bough a packet of seeds this week, so hope I get blooms equal to those. It's always great to catch up with friends, and to get the quilt taken on board is a huge bonus.
ReplyDeletePretty field of flowers. Celeste Barnard says friends are like flowers. They fill the world with beauty.
ReplyDelete