My cholesterol has steadily climbed over the past eight years and my doctor told me again told me that it was time I throw in the towel and just take his ding-dang medications! This argument has been going on for 5 or 6 years. I know it is high. I know there are limits. But I don't like medicine.
Five years ago, after being recommended the It Starts With Food book, I challenged myself to do the Whole30, a diet by the book's authors which restricts bread, rice, pasta, anything with gluten, sugar, dairy products, legumes and practically anything one would want to eat! It Starts With Food definitely lowered my cholesterol that first time around and I have challenged myself to do a modified version (I eat soy products now meaning I can use soy sauce, miso, tofu and soy milk) three more times.
But I do live in the real world and we do eat out a lot. The Whole30 diet is so restrictive that I end up being anti-social when I'm on it because I decline lunch dates with friends, by-pass their desserts and even bring my own meal when invited over. You have to have some pretty understanding friends and family to do the Whole30! One month in maybe a year is my limit but the benefit is that I do pay more attention (at first) to what goes into my mouth.
At any rate I pleaded with my doctor to let me give it one more try and I PROMISED that if in one month I didn't get my levels down to his specific number then I would bow to his judgement.
I went yesterday for my test results and he and I were both surprised that I was well below the ultimatum number... not within what is considered the normal bracket but obviously my Whole30 paid off. AGAIN!
I just want to say that like the book's title says, IT STARTS WITH FOOD! Dietary changes do cause a change! Exercise of course is good but personally even with swimming and walking my numbers don't change. It is the changes in what I eat that makes the difference.
I know that in some ways I'm just putting off the inevitable, that someday I'm going to have to start taking the little pills but I've been put on reprieve again for a few months. I came home and told Tetsu my good news (who was SO happy that I was finally off that Whole30 diet after a month of watching me eat different meals than he was eating) and he wanted to celebrate.
"Let's go out to dinner! Let's go eat some cake!"
This is the difference between Tetsu and me when it comes to medical results. He immediately jumps back into the very food that causes him problems because he feels he has leeway again. I am impressed with how effective things can be and vow to stay as close as possible to healthy eating.
Despite all that, we are headed for America and two weeks of restaurant eating may be my downfall.
"I'll see you again for another blood test AFTER you get back from America." my doctor says with a gleam in his eye.
Still, I'm happy. I plan to remember, "it starts with food."
Well done, Tanya. I dread having the same conversation with my doctor in the coming months. Maybe I should try Whole30.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. I always think doctors just love to push those pills a little too much. I don't know about in Japan, but here in the U.S. those pills are darned expensive. Not to even mention the side effects. Just think, years ago those pills didn't even exist and people managed. Of course, there weren't the demands by pharmaceutical companies to lower the standards further & further so they could sell more drugs either.
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same boat. My doc recommended I try Cholestoff pills and switch to Benecol spread, with plant sterols. Just started so I don't know if these are working. My mother had super-high cholesterol her whole adult life and lived past 80.
ReplyDeleteTry and go the food route. Those little pills besides being expensive and a lot of serious side effects. Have fun at the wedding. My blessings to the bride and groom.
ReplyDeleteKaren in New Jersey.
The same procedure all over the world. Many millions of people have not the money nor the doctors and still they can live without cholesterol medication. I have refrained from the same medication because of the side effects; my choice; not the doctor's. It is a "hot" topic nowadays because people are beginning to question the hysteria that has occurred regarding cholesterol and that the marketing has not been completely truthful. To eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle is more important in the long run than a pill. I can truly understand your hesitation.
ReplyDeleteYou are so smart! I, too, tried the exact same strategy a few years ago but couldn't get my LDLs within an acceptable range after they had climbed steadily for the last few years. The only thing that saved me from going on the drug, for a while, was the fact that my HDLs were so HIGH. I finally had to submit, but my Dr. assured me that this was my genetic makeup and that it was okay. Blame heredity!! I agree with you, though; we can control so much based on our healthy eating choices and I still do that, I am sure that you will too; the results speak for themselves!
ReplyDeleteHigh cholesterol runs in my family. I kept a record of everything I ate for a month and took it to the Dr. who said I should not be having that problem. Even if I take those pills, nothing changes from month to month.
ReplyDeleteDespite being a vegetarian I have high overall cholesterol. My good cholesterol is off the charts high but the bad is high enough to give an overall high reading (249). A nurse friend and I were talking and she recommended red rice yeast. I began taking it and cholesterol dropped 40 points in just a couple of months. I have found one pill in the morning and two at night work best for me. You might check red rice yeast out and decide whether it would work for you.
ReplyDeleteKay
Have you thought about taking Bran Buds? I have a bottle of those pills .... don't take them .... but my LDL is almost normal. I do take 1/4 cup of Bran buds every day. I hardly exercise and eat what I want. That cereal is the only thing I can see is helping to lower my LDL.
ReplyDelete