Thursday, September 7, 2023

M-san's quilting

Yesterday M-san came over and we worked on the latest block in our On Williams Street quilts...  I found this website earlier this year and suggested that the project would be a good way to practice machine quilting and overcome some of the fear of new challenges that would be offered.  
We are now on our 9th block and we are thinking of stopping here (instead of going the full 12 months).  I also asked M-san to bring over her latest quilts, the ones that she'd just sent me photos of, so that I could see them myself, photograph them and show them on my blog.
I am just blown away by M-san's skills and especially in machine quilting.  She has certainly surpassed her teacher (me).  As I photographed and raved about M-san's talent, we reflected on M-san's journey with quilting to this point and what she has learned and the things she has made.  There are actually too many quilts that M-san has finished to show all here though I think I managed to record all of them somewhere on my blog.

Can you believe, M-san is a new quilter!  She and I met in 2019 and when she showed an interest in handwork I gave her a quick lesson in tatting and told her to get back in touch with me when she'd mastered the basic knots.  From then on in we met occasionally as her tatting skills developed (she took to that very quickly and easily too), but the pandemic waylaid us for 4 or 5 months, when we decided not to get together.  
From 2021 M-san was doing hand piecing and hand quilting and somewhere in that time I started her on machine quilting.  The first photo that I can find of one of her freehand machine quilting projects was this diamond block quilt. 
This photo was of her first practice piece that she did with a bit of marking on the fabric to guide her.  She was so good even from the very beginning!
This is her most recent piece that she did at home by herself, practicing designs and trying out things that she found on the Internet.  I hadn't seen this piece before.
And this little piece is just amazing!  She said she found an article in one of the quilting magazines that I'd given her about a quilter and she just copied the design as well as she could.  I have certainly never tried anything so intricate and I marveled at her even and confident stitches.  M-san wants to give me this piece but I really think she should hang on to it as part of the journey that she is making in machine quilting.  For now it has been hung in my entry way but I think she should keep it to show more people who come into her life.  Who knows.  Someday she may be a famous Japanese machine quilter!
M-san also brought along a scrap quilt that she had made of the half square triangles that I had in a box from an earlier quilt I made this year.  This quilt is hand quilted, with gold thread no less!  
M-san really likes the meditative benefits of hand quilting and she added sparkle to the quilt's dark border.  Such a nice touch! 

I don't know if M-san's family is aware of her skill in quilt making.  She says they compliment her on the colors she's chosen and they are always happy to hang up another of her quilts, but being non-quilters themselves I wonder if they realize how good she is and how quickly she has taken to this type of handwork.  M-san and I talked about when I first started machine piecing and machine quilting, and I think I began in earnest after Leiya was born...  When I was about 35.  About the same age that M-san started...  I didn't really start machine quilting until 15 years ago... so think where M-san will be in 15 years if she's this good now!

Sorry for raving so much but I am a very proud teacher!
 

10 comments:

  1. Wow M-san, your handwork and quilting is outstanding, amazing, and I hope your family get to understand the many hours of work into each of these. Tanya, you must be so happy with the progress here, and to show it to us out in the universe, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be a proud teacher. What great quilting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! She is *so* good at this and that she is so sweet just makes me glad to see her display of great talent. And of course she has had a great teacher in you to guide and encourage her! If it were me, I'd accept her quilt if you feel she truly wants to gift it to you as I imagine she does as a way to thank you for your investment of time, knowledge, and materials. What a wonderful tribute to your skill as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic results, by both teacher and student! Keep up the good work!
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  5. M-san's talent and skills are amazing for the short time she has been quilting. You have done a great job of teaching and inspiring your young student. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing skills in machine quilting M-San has shown!! Those are amazing and just wonderful. Applause for M-San and her teacher!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to both teacher and student!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M-San has done an amazing job of quilting. But I think her teacher does amazing quilting also. I love seeing all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's incredible; but of course she is, she has one amazing teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. M-san is such a talented and prolific quilter! Her skills are exceptional. She is so very lucky to have met you and had you to mentor her. Your skills are also remarkable! Thank you for showing M-san's work. It always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. I'm having more hacker problems and have had to go to comment moderation.