I finished a class on thumbnail sketching on Skillshare this week. Skillshare was a really good step for me this year and I love trying out all the classes available to members. I still focus on watercolors and journaling and some whimsical sketching but I have a really good time. This class by Barbara Luel focused on places we feel comfortable and relaxed and things that we love around the house. (I'm not sure how my iron got in there but anyway...)
I had two doctor's appointments this week, both at the same hospital an hour away but on different days. We spend so much time traveling back and forth and then sitting in the waiting room but we sort of make a day of it and try to do something fun before going home.
I got the all clear to do almost anything and I am back at the pool swimming.And we are back to walking around the cemetery with John who needs the most exercise of all of us.
The cemetery is so pretty in the mornings.
I had a slight disaster when I realized one of the fabrics that M-san and I used for our On Williams Street blocks bleeds... Sigh. I don't know how this fabric got in my stash... Ususally I try to weed out risky looking fabrics but this one got through. I decided to take the block to Mrs. Furui to see if she had any ideas about rescuing it (she didn't) and I even took M-san with me so I got to introduce my two favorite patchwork friends to each other. That was so nice and Mrs. Furui gave M-san a box of same size squares that come as fabric samples each month from a fabric club she belongs to. We've always said we need to do something with all the squares that arrive in the mail but we never have so M-san was given the job to make something out of a box of them. I guess M-san and I decided to use our bleeding box as is and continue to enjoy the process and not worry about the flaws.Speaking of Mrs. Furui, I subscribe to her son's Instagram channel where he posts photographs he has taken. He specializes in taking evening and night photographs, sometimes fireworks, even the northern lights he traveled especially to photograph. I loved this photograph of the Ehime castle in the moonlight and I asked if I could show it here on my blog. Isn't it beautiful?! My livingroom for the summer with the Hawaiian quilt I made years ago. As soon as it gets cooler this is coming down!
one thing I tried once to get a little bled out was to put some bleach on a Q-Tip and hold the bleed part under a faucet then rub the q-tip lightly on the bleed wait just a second or so and then run lots of cold water over it to wash the bleed out - it worked on my small piece but I wouldn't swear it works on everything - you have to immediately run water over the bleach area -- only do it if you really want to see if any of it will come out
ReplyDeleteIf it was my quilt, I'd just leave it as is. That's an amazing night picture of the castle. I don't remember your Hawaiian quilt, it's beautiful. Thanks for sharing all that you do.
ReplyDeleteGood to know you are back at the pool - a good way to exercise without undue strain.
ReplyDeleteI've heard that using several "color catchers" when washing a quilt often works. But even putting a piece of cotton or flannel fabric in the washer with the quilt can pull the bleeding colors out of the quilt and onto the color catcher. If you google "color catcher for quilts" you will probably find more information.
ReplyDeleteHow about this for a rescue, add embroidery stitches, crazy quilt style along the hem?
ReplyDeleteGood to hear of your ongoing recovery. Enjoy the pool, the days are still so HOT, but don't overdo your training. The hip still needs to have a rest in between activities.
Queenie